super 8mm telecine labs review

Guest Rod Blackhurst

• Premium Member
Some places, particularly in the US, not so in Europe, offer student discounts. Occassionally, they are even applied to young filmers that aren't really at film school at all. Kodak reps can be quite generous at handing out discounts here

Er, where do you mean by here?

Not England surely?

love

Freya

Wow, angry Freya. Everyone hide!

:)

Sorry for that, Freya! I meant:

Some places, particularly in the US, not so in Europe, offer student discounts. Kodak reps can be quite generous at handing out discounts there

I had reasons to imagine myself in the Californian sun while typing that post (...don't ask...) and that made the 'there' a 'here'.

I agree, never encountered UK discounts, but got some in DE and in CH, a.k.a Europe (that landmass off this island... occassionally cut off from the UK due to fog ;) )

Best wishes to you,

-Michael

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Find it strange that a company called Todd-A0 who developed the 65mm process have been reduced to doing S8 !!! . Iam sure its not the original company , just some corporate company like [Engulf and Destroy] who bought the name . And do know they do 35/16 mm.

As Freya said, they are and will remain a full lab & telecine for all formats (except 65/70mm ... yeah, I know... don't ask either...). They were the only high quality one-stop shop for Super 8 negative sales, development and telecine in Europe , keeping everything in-house.

Andec in Berlin offers this as well, but their telecine facilities are not as good as Todd-AO's, and they are occassionally inconsistent re. development quality.

As far as Todd-AO's history is concerned, you are of course spot on:

Todd-AO in London was previously owned by the Chrysalis Group and known then as Chrysalis Television Facilities. Todd-AO {as in the real Todd-AO formed out of the joint venture between Michael Todd and the American Optical Company in 1953}, keen to invest in Europe, acquired Chrysalis Television Facilities in 1994.

Now a part of the Ascent Media Group we are able to offer a comprehensive range of facilities and creative solutions to programme makers. Our editors, colourists and production teams have a vast pool of knowledge and experience in order to advise on efficient and cost effective post production alternatives. With extensive facilities, some of London?s leading talent and fabulous service,

Todd-AO is the ideal choice for creative, client driven end to end results blablabla where's my Super 8 dude?

Wow, angry Freya. Everyone hide!

:)

Whoops!

Didn't mean to come across angry and definitely not towards you! :)

I just get frustrated by Kodak sometimes.

I rang them on a sales number this week tho and actually had a positive experience getting S8 prices. I just rang them up asked them the prices and they told me right away and it was really easy.

Maybe Kodak UK are going to change their ways! :)

For those intrested:

£10.40 for B&W

£8.36 Colour neg

£8.64 for E64

love

Freya

Whoops!

Didn't mean to come across angry and definitely not towards you! :)

Why not get angry, I'm angry!!! The one bastion of quality Super 8 facilities in the UK has now quit.

How the hell are we young people supposed to learn, when this bloody country doesn't provide any facilities.

Now its virtually impossible to get anything non-mainstream done in this country - all the labs pretty do Colour neg, thats it! And that they do more expensively than anyone else.

No colour reversal, no black and white reversal, I haven't even tried cross-processing, black and white facilities are falling by the way side, and we're forced to send our film abroad with the high postage costs, long waits and risks of x-rays.

Plus its hard to learn from tests when it take so long to finally see the end results.

[Note. Andy storms out the room and goes for a jog and some shadow boxing round the local field, he returns calmer, but sweaty.]

Sorry about that ladies and gentlemen, as you can see the frustration has been building up for some time, let us return to calm informative discussion posthaste.

Now its virtually impossible to get anything non-mainstream done in this country - all the labs pretty do Colour neg, thats it! And that they do more expensively than anyone else.

No colour reversal, no black and white reversal, I haven't even tried cross-processing, black and white facilities are falling by the way side, and we're forced to send our film abroad with the high postage costs, long waits and risks of x-rays.

Plus its hard to learn from tests when it take so long to finally see the end results.

I hear what you are saying. I've just had a project fall apart due to the price of processing here and the minimum charges. I expect I'll come back to it but when I feel more sure about getting it right.

The risk is too great at the prices I'm getting quoted tho!

On the plus side, you could try getting into processing your own E64T, the E6 process isn't too hard apparently. I'm definitely considering it myself for some stuff.

I'm expecting to end up shooting a lot of video. It's just going to be the way I suspect.

love

Freya

if you are testing all labs, pls test our lab too, we are in Italy and we do processing and telecine of all formats, also 8,S8and 9,5mm we use Rank Cintel 4:2:2 telecine and DaVinci consol for color correction. we can do telecine from 16 to 50fps.

for more info pls check our site www.movieandsound.it

Michelle

if you are testing all labs, pls test our lab too, we are in Italy and we do processing and telecine of all formats, also 8,S8and 9,5mm we use Rank Cintel 4:2:2 telecine and DaVinci consol for color correction. we can do telecine from 16 to 50fps.

for more info pls check our site www.movieandsound.it

Michelle

Hiya Michelle!

Can you tell me how much negative processing is for super8 carts?

I couldn't find any prices on the site.

Also what payment methods are available?

Thankyou! :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black