SUPERBAD INTRO/OLD IPOD COMERCIALS (HOW'D THEY DO IT?)

HI THANKS FOR DROPPING BY

I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY BODY KNEW IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO DO SORT OF THE SAME TYPE OF SILHOUETTE EFFECT WITH A GREEN SCREEN AND FINAL CUT...(SIMILAR TO THE OLD IPOD COMERCIAL AND SUPERBAD'S INTRO) THE CLIP IS BELOW JUST INCASE YOU HAVENT SEEN IT BEFORE.

SUPERBAD'S INTRO CLIP

The two sequences are actually quite different in execusion.

The "old school" Superbad intro sequence can easily be done using a green screen. Or you can even do a low budget version. The most important aspect is to be able to create contrast between your actors and the background. If you can create contrast - either by keying (green screen or other) or color correcting your way to a black actor on a white background.

Then you can either use the image as a matte (black and white) and apply the colors through the mattes. Or you can color correct your colors to achieve the colors you want. Depending on your software choice and the quality of your shoot material, one method may be easier - keying or color correcting.

The iPod spots are actually a little more advanced. Mostly in what information they use from the shoot. First of all, the iPod cord (and sometimes the actual iPod) can clearly be viewed. There was also areas within the actors that were "brought out" in the post process.. Contact shadows with the floor was also exposed at times. I assume that there was a high quality green screen shoot behind all this, with some serious time making sure the key elements really came out (clean bg, clean characters, and cord), and then roto mattes were probably animated to reveal the areas that were of additional interest. Well, that's how I would've approached it anyway.

What I love about the iPod spots is that they look so simple, yet have such a high level of finish revealing a real sense of creative detail and quality. While the Superbad intro is cool retro, the iPod spots are super cool modern. :ph34r:

Best of luck.

Markus

The two sequences are actually quite different in execusion.

The "old school" Superbad intro sequence can easily be done using a green screen. Or you can even do a low budget version. The most important aspect is to be able to create contrast between your actors and the background. If you can create contrast - either by keying (green screen or other) or color correcting your way to a black actor on a white background.

Then you can either use the image as a matte (black and white) and apply the colors through the mattes. Or you can color correct your colors to achieve the colors you want. Depending on your software choice and the quality of your shoot material, one method may be easier - keying or color correcting.

The iPod spots are actually a little more advanced. Mostly in what information they use from the shoot. First of all, the iPod cord (and sometimes the actual iPod) can clearly be viewed. There was also areas within the actors that were "brought out" in the post process.. Contact shadows with the floor was also exposed at times. I assume that there was a high quality green screen shoot behind all this, with some serious time making sure the key elements really came out (clean bg, clean characters, and cord), and then roto mattes were probably animated to reveal the areas that were of additional interest. Well, that's how I would've approached it anyway.

What I love about the iPod spots is that they look so simple, yet have such a high level of finish revealing a real sense of creative detail and quality. While the Superbad intro is cool retro, the iPod spots are super cool modern. :ph34r:

Best of luck.

Markus

thanks! :) i really admire the way those videos really came out