Outdoor Golf Course shoot

Smaisch

In a bind and I was hoping for some practical advice.

We are shooting an outdoor scene for our low budget feature, with two guys on the green of a golf course. We spoke with the course and they are allowing us to film as long as we do not impede other players, so we will be shooting between rounds, so we will need to keep the equipment to a minimum so we can get off the course quickly if need be. We will have:

Camera

Tripod

Steadycam

Boom mic and pole

Reflector

Anything else (lighting rigs, dolly system, etc) would be impossible to pick up and move on the fly.

Any suggestions with using natural lighting to try to get a professional look? The time of day will be morning to afternoon.

Thanks

• Premium Member

Personally I would try to tweak the camera (or film+optics) to make the best image in high-contrast, outdoor light. Figure that some shots may not allow you to add enough fill, and these shots need to look acceptable too. Then, I would be as soft and gentle with my fill light as possible, probably using only white bounces or soft silver farther away for wide shots. Sometimes it actually looks WORSE to have a nicely-filled closeup next to a wide shot with no fill, or to have hard, artificial-looking shadows from reflectors. You do what you gotta do to get an exposure, but for stuff like this I try to take a minimalist approach.

And "Smaicsch," it's time to go to "My Controls" and update your display name to your real first and last name. The rules have changed since you joined. Thanks.