Webhosting/domain advice?

I've finally tracked down all the footage from the shoots I've done over the past year or two and cut my reel. It looks good on a DVD, but we all know the reality is producers want to click on a link and learn all about you in 15 seconds or less...ha ha. Any advice on a good, reasonably priced solution for hosting my own website? (I thought about YouTube, etc. but the quality is just too lousy, and that sort of presentation isn't professional, anyway.)

I plan on keeping it SUPER simple--a still on the main page, along with my name, e-mail and phone number, and a few navigation buttons to my reel, resume and some still photography.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with any companies they can share? I can do basic-intermediate HTML coding as well as prep my media for web delivery with Final Cut .

Many thanks in advance,

David

David Cavallo

AC/Aspiring Cinematographer

NYC Area

I'm using godaddy.com, one of their low end packages (less than $10 a month). I haven't had any problems with them aside from sometimes their server doesn't immediately update when you upload new files. They have hosting tools that you can use to upload your HTML and video files. I've been with them for more than six months and I've been pretty happy.

• Premium Member

i've also had a good experience with godaddy for a little over one year now. technically i've had no problems. and their customer service calls me periodically to see if i need anything or if there are any issues. i think that's amazing.

f

Best bang for the buck and all around the web well recommended is www.dreamhost.com. Been using them for years without a complaint - great customer service, and they handle everything. Easy to use web control panel and never any downtime. Cheers.

As mentioned above cheapest and fastest is godady I built my own site in iWeb and uploaded it to godady. it isn't the fastest to load but it gets the job done. Check out my signature for my site. I am in the process of getting a professionally done site cause my business needs it. cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Is everybody who mentioned a particular service talking about sites that have to load or do any of these have the video ready to go when

somebody arrives at the site and also are instantly able to be scrubbed?

Yeah, it's so true that everybody wants a link and further I think that they don't want to have to wait for the video to load. Does it seem to anybody else

like this is a big shift in the last six months from many people willing to have a DVD sent to them to now most people saying give me a link or don't bother?

It certainly seems so in Boston but I know that often things happen first out West and then people here catch on to them a bit later.