Need a good Lighting Kit for super 16

A.J. Hammer

Hello all,

I am definitely going to purchase a lighting kit. I need a proffessional one, but I am not sure which to get.

-What are some good places online to buy

-What brands would be the best and most versitile

-What should I look for in the way of watts for dramatic and cinematic lighting

-I have no idea what how many watts to get, what would be typical

Any and all help would be great. Thank you

Alex

Before you spend any money on lighting equipment, you should buy some books on lighting, including the use of grip equipment. Depending on how much money you can afforf, you can get lighting kits that fit in a suitcase or fill a truck. Also get the B&H Photo/Video Professional Lighting Sourcebook. It's a free catalog with hundreds of pages of professional lighting and grip equipment and lots of great technical info.

For very limited budgets, Lowel kits are a great place to start, but if you have a little more to spend the Arri kits are very good value for the money and are solid, professional gear that will last forever.

Hey there,

If there is any rental houses near your area, you should check them out. They usually have have some used equipments for sale. Ebay are a good source of place to check out too. Mandy.com is another online place to check. I bought a couple of Fresnels light some time ago and got a great deal. And depending on your budget, you have to first decide what kind of lights do you want to get. Do some research and ask around before spending any money is advisable. Globes are expensive(to me!!) and you should check out places that do wholesales on them, you can save a great deal of money.

Good luck!!

Regards,

Daniel

I've been most satisfied with my Arri Soft light kit. 1 1K open face , 2 650 fresnel. 1 300 fresnel. 1 chimera. It all fits in 1 case that is light, easy to transport, and reliable. Mole equipment although more durable doesn't transport in one case.

I started with a Lowel DP kit. Added a couple of tota lights and ultimately ended up with an Arri soft light kit. Then I added three c-stands, some assorted flags, grip equipment, a skateboard dolly. Please someone stop me from buying gear.

My package fits nicely into my SUV. I need more equipment I rent a grip truck.

Recently shot a DigiBeta doc. using the production company's brand new Arri Soft kit and it was very nice. Arri packages those things extremely well. Just so you know, Mole-Richardson also sells light kits complete with cases. I'll leave it to personal preferences for which is best.

There is a free guide which shows some basic portrait set-ups for still and interview type work. This might be helpful to see what kind of thing you can do with a three head kit.

Go to:

http://www.arri.com/entry/products.htm

Click on downloads then lighting then brochures and scroll down to the lighting handbook.

Regards

Andy Barnett

ARRI GB