Water reflection simulated by metal

While watching the Transformers behind the scenes featurettes, I came across this:

transformers.jpg

They have a PA tapping a piece of metal, and it's producing a perfect simulation of light reflecting off of moving water. Does anyone have any idea what this material is and where to get it?

Much thanks!

Dave

• Premium Member

Mylar.

And i don't think that's a PA. It would be a grip's job to manipulate the Mylar. And he's wearing a tape measure... and some 2" Black Paper tape... ummm, i think he's a grip.

another great water gag is to have a shallow pool of water with the Mylar on the bottom of the pool. That looks awesome but is harder to focus than the 4'X4' frame.

f

Mylar.

And i don't think that's a PA. It would be a grip's job to manipulate the Mylar. And he's wearing a tape measure... and some 2" Black Paper tape... ummm, i think he's a grip.

another great water gag is to have a shallow pool of water with the Mylar on the bottom of the pool. That looks awesome but is harder to focus than the 4'X4' frame.

f

Oops.... Grip. I guess it's attached to a board of some kind? Or is it stiff enough to just wobble on its own? Thanks Frank!

Edited by David McLeavy

• Premium Member

Yes, it's mylar stretched on a 4x4 frame. The tighter you stretch it, the more "flat" the reflection. Stretching it more loosely and with mild wrinkles creates a more broken up reflection with more movement.