Music vid - Liam Finn 'Better to Be'

Hiya,

I was DOP on this vid - Interested to hear feedback re the lighting and camera work ...

As per usual - youtube does it no justice, but you get the idea...

Shot over 48 hours at Liams family home in Auckland, NZ - two person crew, Director Marc Swadel and myself, make up was there for about 8 hours or so of the first day but I think the boredom set in for her and she left - don't blame her, was a bit of a killer shoot with lots more footage shot than made the final cut - think trampolines at 60fps and a heap of production design issues to be solved as we went along...

Jarrod the doppelganger actor/character helped out with a bunch of lifting also, an editor by trade - top notch work ;)

Shot on Plus-X neg stock and 7201 on Bolex cameras then printed to positive for editing on a intercine flatbed then simply projected on a wall and captured in video for distribution.

The segment near the end was stills shot off my iMac screen - not sure if they cut so well in with the rest of the footage due to the contrast and wotnot...

The lighting was all borrowed from the stage/theatre company I work for on occasion - couple of 2K fresnels and some 1K profile lamps on a dimmer for all the funky cuts and fades you see here and there - we used a hazer for the keyhole shots.

The Bolexes were an SB found left on a window sill as a family heirloom for 20 years and an EL from Isreal/MOSSAD (as far as we can tell) with hebrew engravings and weird MilSpec AV/hall effect sensors on it ... not to mention and a gallon or two of salt water in the lens

If you didn't spot it David Lynchs Eraserhead and German expressionism was a major influence, at least on our accents during the shoot - another influence was hairs in the gate, scratchy footage, jumpy cuts and mistimed claw action etc... Marc did a great job dragging the print through the gutter as you can see

2000 word essays please - danke :lol:

Nice work. I caught the video for 'Second Chance' in flight from Wellington to Auckland recently - you didn't have anything to do with that by chance?

I don't really have much to say, it all looks pretty good. You sure youtube isn't making it look better than it actually is? ^_^

Nice work. I caught the video for 'Second Chance' in flight from Wellington to Auckland recently - you didn't have anything to do with that by chance?

I don't really have much to say, it all looks pretty good. You sure youtube isn't making it look better than it actually is? ^_^

naw, nought to do with that one, but I know how it was done - it was actually this video that Liam and I were talking about when he learned I was a bit of a camera nerd (and vice versa as Liam likes to take a nice snap here and there also).

... the Better to Be vid pretty much came to be a month or so later ;)

Edited by Nick Mulder

Awesome work total refreshing "vintage", it looks great... This kind of work it's so unique because today almost everybody wants a "High def" style, awesome lenses, all that "clean" image and then you see this organic beautiful work, too much for me jajaja :lol: ... Congratulations, for me you do a refreshing work...

BTW is ironic because i love all that kind of stuff but with your video you make me feel shame for all that "clean" images jajaja, perhaps i feel nostalgic ... :huh:

Xavier

The Bolexes were an SB found left on a window sill as a family heirloom for 20 years and an EL from Isreal/MOSSAD (as far as we can tell) with hebrew engravings and weird MilSpec AV/hall effect sensors on it ... not to mention and a gallon or two of salt water in the lens

I used the preset Switars - 10mm 26mm 75mm 150mm and the PTL Zoom for some odd focal length requirements

• Premium Member

Hey Nick, I really liked the shot that was about 31 seconds in. The perspective and all was great, and I could see a glimpse just for a moment of a whole series of ideas and places you could push it. But I love that condensed feeling you evoke in the room. and when he goes into the bed after that! ha!. Superman vacuum nightscape feeling - I think if you really had some nice "ob=jet d'art," some little peculiar curiosities in the room it would have really sung out and complimented the aesthetic - something like; Oddities

ok, so maybe thats too jabberwockey but you can see where i am going. not sure about the close up of the red flowers - because of that white strip of building?/ in the background, just seemed to visually jar for me. maybe have the little time lapse montages all throughout?/ it seems to really lend itself to the music. Actually the strange photographic warpness that was happening at the end was really interesting. I have been trying to play around with a similar effect. What colour filmstock was it?/ i like it !- nice-nice /thanks