What is the better Camera?

A.J. Hammer

Right now, it is a toss up between the Eclair NPR and the ACL 2.

I need to know the pros and cons and comparisons of each including price, sound, performance, and sync.

Also, if there are other cameras I should look at within the same price range, and anything else I shold look for.

Thank you,

A.J.

The ACL is the newer, more advanced camera. It can run faster, it is quieter, it uses less power, it is significantly lighter with a much better shape and overall design, and it can be upgraded far more effectively than the NPR. The NPR is still a solid camera, but the ACL is just that much better. Optical-Electo House has so many mods and accessories for it that they dub it "the ACL-3 package." The designers of the ACL left Eclair to start their own camera company--Aaton. That's why there are so many similarities in the designs.

As I suggested elsewhere, read the archives here and pick up a copy of the 16mm camera book. And check some websites about 16mm camera gear. There's a lot of info out there. I'd still prefer an Arri SR or Aaton LTR package, but that's more money as well.

The NPR is a great Camera. Although a little louder than the ACL it has several advantages. There are a vast amount of older and modern motors available for the camera. these range from AC constant speed motors to Multisync crystal conversions by AZ spectrum, Tobin motors and aaton motors. The Camera has a lower top speed then the ACL being limited to a top speed of about 52 FPS depending on the motor. The NPR has a fantastic Variable Degree shutter system that couldn't be simpler to use. this is sadly something that was left out of its younger brother the ACL. The CA - C mount dual lens turret is also very handy to to use commonly available c mount lenses in conjunction with CA or Arri mount lenses.

My NPR outfitted with a Colour Video Tap, Vic Duncan ergonomic handle, Arri Rods, Matte box, Follow focus, and Perfectone compact motor is a great relatively quiet, very reliable camera.

The ACL is also a great camera and has some advantages. Mainly the camera, if well maintained is quieter, Can run up to 75 FPS with the right motor, and is a lot smaller with the help of a 200 foot mag. Both are great but my personal preference is the NPR because of the accesories available and the Variable shutter options.

Hope it helps

Oliver Glaser

• 2 weeks later...

The ACL is easier for shoulder shooting than the NPR because of it's design.Whichever model,I would recommend going with a French made camera than an English made Eclair.I've never seen a Brit made Eclair that didn't completely self destruct at some point.Some folks I know feel more comfortable with the NPR as they feel the older technology is more reliable than the ACL's newer since they feel it wasn't quite proven at that point in time.I've been happy with both.

Marty

• Premium Member

The only thing I've never understood about the NPR is how to mount a follow focus and mattebox onto it. The high clearance between the motor base and the lens precludes the use of a conventional bridgeplate/iris rod system. Is there a special "step-up" adapter for lens accessories made for the NPR?

The only thing I've never understood about the NPR is how to mount a follow focus and mattebox onto it.

There's a single rounded hole on the front of the camera just in front of the motor base. This was for a fairly wonky Eclair design for lens support and mattebox. It wasn't much and there was very little ever designed to mount to it. But both Les Bosher and JBK Cinequipt designed standard 15mm frontrods to fit into this mount at the proper distance to the lens. It's special order from Les but JBK has them in stock on his website for a few hundred bucks.