Which these way is less difficult to become a director ?

Beginning as AD or writer-director ?

So, I've an impression and I see there is a current for who is joining in the industry as writer-director, the person wrote a good script and talk to some agents and the producer may guarantee to him the role as film director of his script. (I think, maybe) some thought of a producer or company like "the man has an good idea and a script well wrote for we earn money, we bought the script license and if it wish direct and has been showing to us his creativity, that it also has good knowledge about how all works even it never had directed some feature film before, Ok, no problem, it'll direct and will has support of others professionals." Or the dude can make some like a short-film just like James Wan made in Saw and maybe become easier his guarantee in direction if really the company was determined to make that film.

But someone begins as AD looks harder, I don't know, the AD is in charge of planning filming days, coordinating the equipments in the location, taking care of figurantes (seems a little technical, uneventful, not so different in most of his films). So, if one day, one day... a producer looks to him differently, it may be invited to direct a script of another person.

And mainly, It's very rare to see on IMDb directors credited ever in his life as AD before.

I would like anyone criticize If I've made mistakes through of a point of view mine that is different in the industry and post his opinion about the question Which these way is less difficult to become a director ? Beginning as AD or writer-director ?

Thanks so much for the attention reading my question and sorry for my english.