Epic 5k

Brian Drysdale

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most funny is... Jim has got to revert the 'vaporware meaning' itself. When he's offering a credit of $17,500 to any upcoming RED EPIC customer willing or needing for a RED camera during 2008 and going with the RED ONE now. ;) I'm sorry my good forum fellows including the usual suspects -- also known as the 'naysayers group' for each day fewer :lol: but this guy is a genius and period.

Here are the specs announced now:

Full frame S35mm new mysterium x sensor

1-100fps

Up to 100mb/sec REDCODE RAW and RGB recording to REDFLASH

Full size dual link HD-SDI and 2-XLR audio inputs and HDMI

Wi-fi control

Firewire 800

USB2

6 Pounds fully machined aluminum body with hybrid stainless PL mount

Compatible with most RED accessories

Fully upgradable sensor

Fully upgradable body

Fully upgradable boards

Fully upgradable mount

• Premium Member

Hi Emanuel,

Any idea on cost? & why would the mount need to be upgraded?

Stephen

The most funny is... Jim has got to revert the 'vaporware meaning' itself. When he's offering a credit of $17,500 to any upcoming RED EPIC customer willing or needing for a RED camera during 2008 and going with the RED ONE now. ;) I'm sorry my good forum fellows including the usual suspects -- also known as the 'naysayers group' for each day fewer :lol: but this guy is a genius and period.

Here are the specs announced now:

Full frame S35mm new mysterium x sensor

1-100fps

Up to 100mb/sec REDCODE RAW and RGB recording to REDFLASH

Full size dual link HD-SDI and 2-XLR audio inputs and HDMI

Wi-fi control

Firewire 800

USB2

6 Pounds fully machined aluminum body with hybrid stainless PL mount

Compatible with most RED accessories

Fully upgradable sensor

Fully upgradable body

Fully upgradable boards

Fully upgradable mount

Hi Stephen,

No idea too. Actually, seems vague anyway. The fully upgradable mount comes from the quote:

'Fully upgradable sensor, body, boards, mount'

Maybe, I had misread and just does mean... mount included. I would stand corrected towards this direction though.

E. :-)

• Premium Member

I guess it's time for the RED one owners to save up some more money to upgrade to EPIC.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

No idea too. Actually, seems vague anyway. The fully upgradable mount comes from the quote:

'Fully upgradable sensor, body, boards, mount'

Maybe, I had misread and just does mean... mount included. I would stand corrected towards this direction though.

I guess it's time for the RED one owners to save up some more money to upgrade to EPIC.

Stephen

That 18 months must be up.

Looks like it'll need a different lay out for handheld, because the body is that much lighter and shorter than the RED ONE.

Does this up to "100 MB/SEC"* more or less compression, because I'm not sure if they're talking about bits or bytes because of the caps? I'd have to assume less because the "B" usually means Bytes because that's how RED and SI have referred to this in the past. Although, it could be the data rate for high speed shooting.

* in the download pdf

Not all, Mr. Holland. Take a better reading on the information above-posted:

The most funny is... Jim has got to revert the 'vaporware meaning' itself. When he's offering a credit of $17,500 to any upcoming RED EPIC customer willing or needing for a RED camera during 2008 and going with the RED ONE now. ;) I'm sorry my good forum fellows including the usual suspects -- also known as the 'naysayers group' for each day fewer :lol: but this guy is a genius and period. (...)

So, happy 'cause both RED ONE units that I will buy now they can be upgraded anytime in 2009. But if you're asking about the difference between 4K and 5K (announced as $40K), yes I think it's too much out of scope as being a true revolutionary system for indies. On that spot, you're winning the war againt us the poor ones. Those ones with no other wish than producing their own art as far as possible.

• Premium Member

> Here are the specs announced now:

Anyone can announce specs. I can announce specs. Look:

Phil One Camera!

6K images at 500fps!

Available 2009!

$1000!

See? Amazing, eh?

I'd rather Red finished the camera they've got than tried to do something else.

P

From what I hear, Mr Alvarez is how he's really called...

From what I'm reading now, you're diversifying your web interests on the infamous site too :) -- very well, be welcome! Never the less and JFYI, that letter in the middle should have any function there, correct? Your curiosity is misspelled though.

• Premium Member
Hi Stephen,

It does seem AFAIK it has been announced at NAB's RED booth.

Hi Emanuel,

If RED one is as good as the owners are saying it seems odd that there would be a need for a better camera at more than twice the price, unless of course Red has been listening to some of the usual suspects with bigger budgets :lol:

Stephen

Hi Emanuel,

If RED one is as good as the owners are saying it seems odd that there would be a need for a better camera at more than twice the price, unless of course Red has been listening to some of the usual suspects with bigger budgets :lol:

Stephen

Similar thought here :(

or a half at least... :lol:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...st&p=227203

(...) Only a small part can upgrade towards a $40K based system. And this does not necessarily mean the best ones. In general, the best (moviemakers) are not the 'richer' ones.

:(

• Premium Member

> If RED one is as good as the owners are saying it seems odd that there would be a need for a better camera at

> more than twice the price

About ninety seconds ago, I was having a stand-up row with Howard MK-V Guy about how great Red is.

Howard's feeling is that Red is great because it makes him a lot of money, and on that basis, having producers fully convinced that it is great is clearly very relevant.

On the other hand, some of us give a poop what our pictures look like.

P

EPIC seems like it has great specs. Hopefully the downsampled image to 4K will look nice pixel for pixel. Downsampling is key, so it's nice to have that extra resolution as a padding.

I always thought that RED's second offering would likely be the film slayer. This could be it.

• Premium Member

I don't know if i would call it a film slayer. It will definitely be a film competitor, but in the end, I think film is entrenched, and the only stable medium we've had for a long time, ya know? There is something, well, it must be admitted there is something unique to the look of film which as of yet no digital medium has usurped. I welcome the EPIC, of course, but I don't hear any death-rattles from Kodak or Fuji in the least. Also I worry that EPIC's into price point might be too high for the indies, and not well enough established as a format for the biggen's. Still, we'll see where the chips fall, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about all 3 of the RED cameras.