1 Script 2 Writers

Jaime Toruno

Well since there is no writers? corner and don't know where else to go... :unsure: Here is a question, I'm staring to write a script but I will have another writer helping me, what is the best way to divide the work for the same script. :blink:

Any subjection is welcome. :D

Well, I'm an egomaniac so I usually write scripts by myself because when I have a vision, I want NO outside interference....actually until I'm on set, then I welcome actors to play with my dialog with the stipulation that whatever they "write" is better than what's on the page otherwise it MY way, BUT from what I've seen, people usually bounce ideas off each other until a treatment is developed, one writing down everything. Then they start creating dialog, sometimes one does a plot outline then the other writes a rough draft then they start to refine the drafts. It's a LOT of give and take. Sometimes someone will dictate and the other will write it down while making suggestions or changing a line here or there, Sometimes one person will work on dialog for specific characters whom they have a feel for while the other will write the dialog for other characters THEY have more of a kinship with. (Carpenter worked with a woman on Halloween for the "girl" parts) There is no real set work load other than what the writing partners decide is the method they will use, the only certainty is compromise however even THAT, if carried to extreme, can be detrimental to the script. You really just need to find your own path and fight for the things you truly believe in and realize you're not gonna get your way every time and SOMETIMES that's the BEST thing that could happen to your script. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• 2 weeks later...

I just started working with another writer and it's an enjoyable experience if you find someone you can click with. You don't necessarily need to think the same, difference is important because that helps you complement each other and produce better work.

I think the best is to start with a mutual brainstorm. Each person will have ideas and they will begin to grow and develop. You start taking notes and then basta, you have something to work with - an outline, a treatment, etc.

What I did with my writer when it came time for the script is we started by discussing, then took turns writing alone, and then we submitted the laptop to each other and would look it over, do some suggested adds and changes, and keep going.

From a business perspective you absolutely MUST have a contract that explains 1) who will own the story (only one person preferrably, and that person should put some money down or something), and 2) how the percentage is split (usually 50/50).