S8 gear and newbie questions

Shawn Mielke

Good early Saturday afternoon from rainy Northern California.

I'm wondering if good S8 projectors are still being manufactured? I'm not sure which are the better, or how to go about safely buying one used. Buying new is fine with me.

I've been shooting DV for the last year, and am quite new to film. Super8 seems to be the cheapest way to shoot film, although it seems like some have contended that shooting S16 isn't that much different in cost? So, I'm interested in what people think of that, also.

Cameras. Is anyone out there using Pro8mm's Classic Pro camera? This one stands out favorably for me, as a new, if rebuilt ("renewed", shall we call it?), S8 cam with lens interchangibility, and a good array of manual features, crystal sync, etc...Again, I'm new to this medium and it's cameras, and their features/controls, but general and/or specific thoughts on this camera are welcome.

So, I'm trying to put a package together so that I can see the initial cost of getting into S8, or S16, and appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Shawn

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Super8 seems to be the cheapest way to shoot film, although it seems like

> some have contended that shooting S16 isn't that much different in cost?

Assuming you own the camera system, it isn't much different at all. 10 minutes of 16mm stock is about 100 quid here; three and a third carts of super-8 neg is just over two thirds the price, and you're getting a lot less actual physical film for your money. Transfer, the really expensive bit, is exactly the same for both. S8 is very marginally cheaper, but it will always look like an amateur format. Super 16 can look very good indeed and is only fractionally more expensive. The chocie is obvious - if you can afford it at all. It's more or less impossible to shoot seriously for a day, on a music video or something, withouts spending three or four grand.

Phil

Heh, I AM new to all of this...By transfer I assume you mean S8/S16 to video, for editing.

Yes, well, I don't need to edit right away, but I would like to have a good little system so that I may begin shooting and watching and learning and becoming a better cinematographer who is able to use more than one medium. Perhaps a $2.5-3.5k camera seems steep for an "experimentalist", but I want learn as much as possible, including good controls and use of different lenses. I don't know. It may be that I break down and get the wind up cam first, to begin playing sooner. Whatever it takes!

Thank you for your reply.

Shawn

Hey Shawn

You don't need to spend that much to get started with super 8. Even a "lousy" camera that you pick up for $5 can be worth shooting with. As with most things, it's not the gear, it's what you do with it. But if you want to get a little more serious, look at the Canon's, especially especially the 814 or 1014 XLS, but also their Autozoom or Autozoom Electronic series. Also look at the Nikon's, especially R8 or R10. Any of these cameras can be had for a reasonable price (under $500, especially the Canon Autozoom's, which you can find for under $200) and are excellent cameras. There are other makes and models that are not too expensive and give excellent results. It depends what features you are looking for. A good site to learn about the different cameras is: http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/list.htm

At any rate, you don't need to go into the high-end pro8 stuff. Aside from having the worst customer service reputation on the planet, shooting super 8 with pro8 will cost as much as shooting 16.

Good luck

Rick

www.friendlyfirefilms.ca

Hi Rick!

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about whether to shoot S8 or S16 now. It sounds like, camera and lens expenses aside, the costs are about the same? Or no? I have another thread around here somewhere also addressing this. I don't know! There certainly is a difference between a $500 and a $2500 camera cost, but is seems like being able to put a proper lens on the front is crucial to making the most of a small format like S8. Beyond that, I'm not yet sure what all features are truly desirable. A stab:

interchangable lenses

stabilized film mechanism

24fps

proper VF (whatever that is...)

crystal sync

quality assurance (new vs. used when ordering online?)

If a real cost difference exists between the two formats, then S8 is perfectly fine with me. But if people shoot S8 just for the look of S8, the desire for more resolution might just win out, here.

Thanks,

Shawn