Need help w/ Nikon Zoom 8

Guest Ronney Ross

Guest Ronney Ross

I just got this camera shot a test roll with it today just to see if it works (scratches, focus.) but the when I try to change to f/stop the slide only goes from 8-16 I cant seem to get the lens to open any further than f8. The little button that you have to press on the front of the camera move from when going clockwise a-m-c but trying to go back the opposite direction it locks into place in A(auto mode). Not sure if its me or if the camera needs to be serviced first time using a nikon. I would hate to not be able to use the camera fully the lens seems to be coated naturally to have a warm feel =) and 24 fps.

Please any input that may help.

-Ronney Ross

• Premium Member
I just got this camera shot a test roll with it today just to see if it works (scratches, focus.) but the when I try to change to f/stop the slide only goes from 8-16 I cant seem to get the lens to open any further than f8. The little button that you have to press on the front of the camera move from when going clockwise a-m-c but trying to go back the opposite direction it locks into place in A(auto mode). Not sure if its me or if the camera needs to be serviced first time using a nikon. I would hate to not be able to use the camera fully the lens seems to be coated naturally to have a warm feel =) and 24 fps.

Please any input that may help.

-Ronney Ross

This is just a guess. Does this camera have true manual exposure or is just a one f-stop plus or minus, or maybe just plus???

If your Nikon R8 has the same controls as my model R10 then as you point the camera at a scene there is a knob on the left side of the camera that says "EE-Lock" on it. Pulling that knob out until it stops will allow you to manually set the lens aperature. If the full range of f-stops is not available because it is sticking then that would indicate a problem which requires service. It should freely move through all f-stops without any restriction. If you are trying to use the automatic over (+2) and under (-1) exposure control, which is on the right side of the camera, sometimes that inner ring gets real sticky on these old cameras. You actually have to get a tool, maybe a knife, or screwdriver and put it into one of the grooves and push to free it. Usually after doing so it will be easier to turn next time.

when I try to change to f/stop the slide only goes from 8-16 I cant seem to get the lens to open any further than f8.

What's happened is the coil spring in the exp meter has weakened - since the spring uncoils to open the aperture, a weakened spring will not fully open the aperture. The armatures of the spring and manual exp control knob are not attached, they rest against each other by the force of the coil spring. What I did (always do with Nikon Superzooms, since they all almost always have the same problem), was get in and solder the armatures together. While this guarantees full manual control, it does defeat autoexposure, but that's no loss, IMHO.

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ronney Ross

Thanks Mitch,

I got a 20 dollar solder and went to work. hopefully i can get all these small screws back in. then ill be cooking with gas.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks Mitch,

I got a 20 dollar solder and went to work. hopefully i can get all these small screws back in. then ill be cooking with gas.

Thanks for the reply

Just saw your pm when I logged in to answer you here. Glad to see you went ahead with the procedure yourself. Pretty tight in there, isn't it? I found the hardest part is not melting the little plastic aperture scale, right next to the armatures.

Way to go, and I do very much appreciate your thanks.

Mitch