Nalcom Ftl 1000 - reviews

Peter Hearn

Hey all

The Nalcom Ftl 1000, has anyone got more information on it? Is it a good camera, how does it perform? Searching the net, i cannot find many things said about it other than it looks nice.

Anyone who has used one, owns one, who can talk about its perfomance - let me know - thanks

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

Anyone who has used one, owns one, who can talk about its perfomance - let me know - thanks

Love finding old posts to respond to.

This has got to be one of the most under appreciated Super 8 cameras around. Yes, it has interchangeable lenses, but the lens that comes with it is simply outstanding. It is an odd shape and strange to hold if you don't have the screw-in handle, but it feels rock solid while shooting.

The camera run button and zoom functions are sort of integrated so you can do a motorized zoom while shooting easily although in general that's not a good thing when watching back.

The actual camera mount is unique but there are adapters out there to go to m42 mount for sure and perhaps there are other adapters as well.

Hey all

The Nalcom Ftl 1000, has anyone got more information on it? Is it a good camera, how does it perform? Searching the net, i cannot find many things said about it other than it looks nice.

Well, it is not a real interchangeable lens camera : the real lens (about 10mm focal lenght) rest inside the body, what you can change is only a non focal zoom lens. Anyway, yes it has a rock solid registration, great camera overall.

Hey all

Hi,

I'am new here and it's great to see this camera being talked about. I've got two Nalcoms and have been always curious what others think of it. I used one of the Nalcoms in Egypt last year shooting on Ektachrome 100D and (besides all the great features the camera has) I think the built-in light meter is not the best - after a test roll I better widened cassettes' film speed notch to make the camera read the film as 160D(?) (none of the film speed pins in the camera gets pushed) as the film seemed overexposed with original notch. Also the light meter is VERY center oriented and if you have something very bright or very dark in the center of the scene the f-stop reading will be quite different, the camera cannot measure average light of the scene. I use external light meter mounted on the camera to compare center/average light conditions and usually use camera's manual f-stop control anyway.

AND AT LAST the 180° shutter stated here and there on the web seems to be total nonsense - with 180° shutter and shutter speed of 1/36s at 18 fps the f-stop should be much higher than it's set by the camera... It's more like the camera's shutter speed at 18 fps is around 1/125s --- or something inside the camera is not normal. And both my Nalcoms measure light the same and even my Carena Zoomex 7710 IM that is somehow a secret twin of Nalcom has the same f-stop reading so it's probably a "feature of the camera"? I wish someone would explain this to me, please...?

post-51748-0-66555500-1302645256.jpg

• Premium Member

Not sure about the shutter angle but on the meter, it must SUCK power because if you leave the power on, mine drains the batteries in a day. The manual mentions something about making sure to turn the power switch off and they mean it.

• 4 years later...

Does the adapter for the Nalcom FTL 1000 suffer from a large crop factor or is it designed not to?

I can't find any information on how it works or what is does exactly.

I also can't find any patents from Nalcom, does anyone know where I can find those?

There are no optics in the adaptors. So the focal length determines the view.

The NALCOM has its own fitting and there are adaptors to accept several bayonets or screw lenses of those years.

No C-mount though.

Why would you want patents?

There are no optics in the adaptors. So the focal length determines the view.

The NALCOM has its own fitting and there are adaptors to accept several bayonets or screw lenses of those years.

No C-mount though.

Why would you want patents?

I want to make an adapter for full lenses to small 8mm-ish sensor.

In the patents is described how it works, with drawings of the inners and lens configurations.

So I could partially copy what they did :D.