inspirational painters.. Whose yours?

Jesse Cairnie

I just don't get it. His stuff just doesn't do anything for me.

I'm a Jackson Pollock fan myself.

Jackson Pollock is one of the few "contemporary" artists I appreciate. Looking at his stuff up close, it has great texture and feeling to it. Everything else just goes over my head. Like this bad boy:

post-11421-1209449959.jpg

"Red Plank" by John McCracken

It's a shiny red board leaning up against a wall and I think it's work like this that make people believe they don't "get" art. At least I don't get it. Anyone, feel free to enlighten me on it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is in part a plug for a good friend of mine, David Imlay. I've always thought he's done some fantastic work, and he inspires me constantly with his framing and how he's able to paint light. His pieces can be viewed in various galleries here in SF.

http://www.davidimlay.com

http://www.davidimlay.com/gallery2/main.ph..._serialNumber=2

Actually I did use Van Gogh's Starry Night:

http://photos.oes.org/albums/userpics/1000...h(1152x864).jpg

as a plot element in The Black Sky. It seemed a perfect fit as the story is about a group of space travelers that enter a beautiful but uncharted and ominous nebula to retrieve a lost science probe and become trapped in orbit around a strange, mystical planet that seems to defy scientific explanation. The Starry Night and the Hubble images of the Crab Nebula were the inspiration for the script. B)

• Premium Member
Everything else just goes over my head. Like this bad boy:

That reminds me...this painting by Robert Rauschenberg is hanging at the SFMOMA and at first I had that same, "What the hell is that?" feeling, but then I read the description and it seemed to make sense. I won't try to paraphrase the description, but I guess the point is that context is important and the artists intent matters. Of course in some cases the artist doesn't state his or her intent with the expectation that the viewer can decide what it means to them, which is good too. But for more literal people, like me, these seemingly simple paintings are helped in many cases by having some description of the artists intent. Without the description of the aforementioned painting, I would have just strolled past that painting saying, "yeah, great, three canvas's painted white...." and missed the point entirely.

• Premium Member
Jackson Pollock is one of the few "contemporary" artists I appreciate. Looking at his stuff up close, it has great texture and feeling to it. Everything else just goes over my head. Like this bad boy:

It's a shiny red board leaning up against a wall and I think it's work like this that make people believe they don't "get" art. At least I don't get it. Anyone, feel free to enlighten me on it.

Hello Drew,

Let me see if that 5 years in art school might actually be useful to me:

Contemporary art requires a change in how you process visual information in your gourd. It sort of has to be blamed on Sigmund Freud and his fellows. When psychology started to manifest in our society, art began to explore the same thing but through visual means. Art had been struggling with what to do about photography's taking over reality. Impressionism was getting downright old and overdone. So, artists began changing the very way we looked at art. Instead of the artwork being the thing, it became- How does the artwork effect YOU? It has been that way ever since. While there has been a portion of artists that have stayed with tried and true styles, the cutting edge in art remains this psychological perspective.

Is that any use to you at all?

• Premium Member
John Singer Sargent, an esteemed portrait painter from the early twentieth century, with a knack for atmospheric settings brought to life by his compelling compositions and masterful brushstrokes. Sargent has always been one of my favorites, unfortunately I've yet to have an opportunity to create a look based on his work.

Sargent is great. One of my favourite paintings in the Tate Britain is this one:

Sargent

Guest Glen Alexander
Starting to explore Rothko:

msg-120940818646.jpg

Rothko is brilliant, get to Tate Modern, some of his Seagram Paintings are there. The whole room pulls you into a different space.

They said later on there were going to have an exhibit of all of the Seagram paintings at once place, which will probably be a once in a lifetime event.

Guest Glen Alexander

Vincent Van Gogh, his writings, his work, a true artist and therefore human being.

Anyone writes any crap about being insane or the ear better be wearing flame proof clothing. :-D

Hello Drew,

Let me see if that 5 years in art school might actually be useful to me:

Contemporary art requires a change in how you process visual information in your gourd. It sort of has to be blamed on Sigmund Freud and his fellows. When psychology started to manifest in our society, art began to explore the same thing but through visual means. Art had been struggling with what to do about photography's taking over reality. Impressionism was getting downright old and overdone. So, artists began changing the very way we looked at art. Instead of the artwork being the thing, it became- How does the artwork effect YOU? It has been that way ever since. While there has been a portion of artists that have stayed with tried and true styles, the cutting edge in art remains this psychological perspective.

Is that any use to you at all?

Fair enough.

I can appreciate the artistic and cultural significance, I have reservations about many Impressionistic works myself. However, aesthetically it's not really my cup of tea. Setting foot in the contemporary wing of the museum used to drive me up a wall, because half of the work I'd kind of dig. The other half though, I'd have to wonder if it hadn't really been destined for the dumpster out back and made it into the gallery by mistake.

Although, I guess that's part of what's so great about art to begin with, it resonates differently with different people.

Still, nothing's more inspirational than...

waterloo.jpg

Guest Glen Alexander
Fair enough.

I can appreciate the artistic and cultural significance, I have reservations about many Impressionistic works myself. However, aesthetically it's not really my cup of tea. Setting foot in the contemporary wing of the museum used to drive me up a wall, because half of the work I'd kind of dig. The other half though, I'd have to wonder if it hadn't really been destined for the dumpster out back and made it into the gallery by mistake.

Although, I guess that's part of what's so great about art to begin with, it resonates differently with different people.

Still, nothing's more inspirational than...

waterloo.jpg

Yes the visual equivalent of that Simpsons episode where Homer is on board of the film festival and votes for "Football in the groin." ha ha ha

Edited by Glen Alexander

maybe i should put some links/images ;)

Vermeer: http://www.essentialvermeer.com/

vermeer.jpg

Beksinski: http://www.gnosis.art.pl/iluminatornia/szt...w_beksinski.htm

zdzislaw_beksinski.jpg

zdzislaw_beksinski_005.jpg

Waterhouse: http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/index.php

waterhouse_the_lady_of_shalott.jpg

Friedrich: http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/f/friedric/index.html

Friedrich%20-%20Moon.jpg

oakwoodabbey2.jpg

Not painters but photographers, a lot of you probably already know of this but many probably don't.

library of congress: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/

2179930812_1c734d4726.jpg

hope someone finds this as useful as i do. B)

• Premium Member
Reckon I'm lowering the tone to pulp art.

But Richard Powers is a big favorite of mine:

dick_man_berk05051.jpg

Maybe I was a bit carried away. Will save Ed Emshwiller for another day.

Just awesome covers....please check out Phil Hale a devastating illustrator....

hale_punch.jpg

dt213.jpg

phil_hale-chicken_placebo_generator.jpg

D

• Premium Member

As an indirect intellectual, philosophical and emotional inspiration, I would say Paul Klee more than any other.

Paul Klee

"Ohne Titel" [Gefangen, Diesseits-Jenseits/Figur] (1940)

"Fast getroffen" (1928)

As a more direct inspiration, though still not directly visual or even scenic (never connected between the artform of painting and the artform of cinematography that directly): the work of Paul Cézanne.

In that respect, I highly recommend the films "Cézanne" and "Une visite au Louvre" by Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet, currently available on a rare Japanese DVD edition with a third masterpiece, "Lothringen!". A new US-/European work edition is announced and will be sold via Amazon.

post-27184-1209961391.jpg

• Premium Member

Absolutely agree on that, Mike!

I will have my first trip to California ever this mid-August, dividing my time there equally between LA and the Bay area for "meet & greet" stuff. But I already cleared half a day in San Franscisco to visit the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art where the above "Fast getroffen (Nearly Hit)" of 1928 is currently exhibited.

Can't wait :)

-Michael