Period Reference

I've begun pre visualization work on a great true historical script that goes from 1938 to 1954, So essentially the forties in America. Predominantly, the story is in Texas and Washington D.C. although I don't really want to limit myself to any kind of a regional feel. I've been getting lighting ideas from painters of that period. I really like Edward Hopper and Norman Rockwell for this piece so far. They really give a sense of the period. What other painters come to mind that had a great take on that era? I don't want to overlook some cool painters or photographers that might trigger something the script can use. I'm open to any new ideas. The forties in WWII and G.I. Bill America. Or films with great production design for that matter.

• Premium Member

The look of "Northfork" was based on Andrew Wyeth, Robert Frank, Edward Hopper, WPA photographs, and turn-of-the-century autochromes.

You could also look at advertisements of the era. There is also some color documentary footage from that era, I believe in a doc called "World War 2 in Color".

• Premium Member