got my first L.A. job!

Yesterday I P.A.'ed on a Chapmen U student film from noon-12pm at a club. It wasn't payed but it was professional and it was shot on 35mm,Arri3BL and fancy lights,a mole and richarson generator etc..

I worked with one other P.A. and together we helped wrangled extras's, move non-important equipment, set up tables and chairs for the meal, etc.. my feet were killing me by the end of the day.

The gaffer was the only "industry" guy there and everyone else was either a Chapman student or was whatever. He chainsmoked cigarettes and was talking about "losing" his DP, and how the writers screw everyone because they wanted animation and something else back from IATSE and now the teamsters make mistreat them at every oppurtunity. His said it was "war" now. He was quite entertaining.

I think the catering guys were payed in prescription drugs because they were all jumpy and they mentioned the AD was giving them Vicodin if they came down.

I also stood out! At the start of the shoot the property owner didn't want cables layed on the carpet, one of AD's was gonna send us out to get cardboard at Home Depot a ways away. I said I could just go find some real quick in one of the dumpsters in an alley, which I did 5 minutes later.

At the end of the day both AD's thanked me profusely and said that I saved their ass's on that one.

The gaffer was also "way to hustle!".

You know, in no other industry would we congratulate some one that gets a job working for free.

Bizarre!

Oh well, don't let that rain on the parade.

R,

Cheers, Richard!!! I like your sense of humor.

Reminds me of what my uncle (He's the CEO of a well-know paint company.) told me when he found out I was starting a career in the film industry: "Don't ever work in an industry where people are so 'passionate' about it they'll work for free."

...should've taken that job he offered me on the assembly line in his paint factory. ;)

• Premium Member
the property owner didn't want cables layed on the carpet, one of AD's was gonna send us out to get cardboard at Home Depot a ways away. I said I could just go find some real quick in one of the dumpsters in an alley, which I did 5 minutes later.

You put cardboard from a dumpster on their carpet instead? :P

It was actually on top of the dumpster, a bunch of it, un-soiled and folded into a large box.

I got the job off CL.

Congrats that you feel so celebrating. That's great for a newbee, really.

Now, I don't mean to reign on your parade, but did you can contact, trade business cards, get

offerings for upcoming projects? Where you from, LA? What's your backing? How long you

been in LA or California, so far?

I ask this stuff because this is what will depend on if you get any paying jobs in the future, or

if you will spend the next 6-7 years doing free paying film gigs; found on craigslist. I'm serious.

First, they will judge you by 'home long you been in LA'? Next, where did you go to school, or

who do you know, or work experience? SEVEN YEARS is ideal for entry level. FOUR TO SIX YEARS,

you may be able to find temp. work by then. Ask around, you will get similar Q & A; if they're honest.

Again, I don't mean to be critical. It's a speaking stone. APPLY AS INTERN FOR BIG COMPANIES.

Maybe for you hater, but I'm part of New Hollywood. Young, ambitious- extremely talented.

Don't be surprised If I have a major studio deal by the end of this year.

I plan on purchasing a Santa Monica compound by next summer. Everyone here will be invited, we'll party untill dawn!

Guest tylerhawes
Maybe for you hater, but I'm part of New Hollywood. Young, ambitious- extremely talented.

Don't be surprised If I have a major studio deal by the end of this year.

I plan on purchasing a Santa Monica compound by next summer. Everyone here will be invited, we'll party untill dawn!

If you dream big and fall a little short, you'll still have accomplished something significant.

If it takes a person seven years to have something above a PA job in Hollywood, they are doing something wrong. I've been here just over six years and am producing my second indie film (for wide release). Surely I'm not unique.

A compound in Santa Monica? Hell, why stop there: Conrad Hall had his own island in the Caribbean.

God, what it is to be young and have the world by the balls... :huh:

(I seriously hope there was some sarcasm in that post...)