DVX100A vs. HDV vs. GL-1

napali2

I saw David Mullen's informative DVX vs PD150 comparison test and was wondering if there might be a similar test with HDV vs. the 100A or even a GL-1 (which I doubt highly).

I have a shoot that for the most part will require static interviews (head and shoulders) to be shot in minidv due to budget. Rental of larger formats is out- its a camera purchase project so dv is the solution.

Due to the subject matter the film will be shot with available light and bounce fill only. Subjects will be seated by a window for a soft sidey single source look. Not a lot of movement in frame to avoid motion artifacts later on.

I was leaning towards the 100A in 24P but the new HDV prosumer camera looks pretty interesting from a resolution standpoint to opt out of 24P and up the resolution. Or does it's compression negate this resolution hike? I have heard that the FCP NLE will not accept HDV as of yet. The film is for a video finish but I would like to protect for a possible film out at a later date.

One of our subjects was in town last week so I was forced to shoot him with a GL-1 which looks quite nice when shot in the scenario above. But a GL-1 is what it is - I know the limitations of mini dv so I was hoping to hear some thoughts to keep resolution at it highest through the work flow. I would sacrafice the filmic in between look of 24P mini dv for more resolution in HDV so the image will hold up longer through the work flow. Obviously, my own tests will answer a lot of this so in the mean time I was hoping to hear others opinions on this.

Would shooting in PAL be a good start?

I know if i want to protect for a film out its best to shoot 24P advanced- so would the NLE limitations and capturing mode of HDV open too many problems in post if we are FCP users?

Thank you in advance.

Brian Bleak