Super 8 and X-ray

Tony Terziev

Hi guys!

In august I'm going to Mozambique with approximately 20 cartridges of Ektachrome 64 reversal film, to shoot a short documentary about the country, and Africa.

My flight schedule looks like this:

Stockholm => Amsterdam

Amsterdam => Johannesburg

Johannesburg => Pemba

Pemba => Maputo

And the same route back home.

Now I wonder if it would be safe to ship all my cartridges as hand luggage. I'm pretty sure the luggage will have to pass through a x-ray machine every time. Is there any risk of getting fogged or overexposed footage with Ektachrome? What other alternatives are there? Shipping my cartridges to the hotel I'm staying in, via mail? Buying a special filmshield or "do not x-ray" stickers? Help me out here! :)

I also want to know what to think about, when shooting during high temperatures and sunny weather with super-8. How should I expose to avoid getting overexposed highlights? Should I invest in any filters and/or reflectors? I will be using my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II (with an Ewa compendium), a Spectra lightmeter and a Manfrotto tripod.

Thanks in advance!

/Tony

Edited by Tony Terziev

• Premium Member

Sorry for the tardiness in coming back to your point - non-ciny.com business...

The X-ray and aviatic transportation issue of cine-film has been covered here and here extensively, with a concluding post about x-ray technology and related issues at hand here.

An FAQ-style entry to the Reader's Digest pinned thread here will be done my me a.s.a.p. as this seems to be a very demanded topic right now!

Cheers, -Michael

• Premium Member

An FAQ-style post as been added to the Reader's Digest pinned thread at the top of this sub-forum named:

AIR TRAVEL, FILM MATERIAL AND THE BIG LUGGAGE/BAGGAGE X-RAY SCARE

- what to know - what to do - how to relax -

CLICK HERE to visit.

I also want to know what to think about, when shooting during high temperatures and sunny weather with super-8. How should I expose to avoid getting overexposed highlights? Should I invest in any filters and/or reflectors? I will be using my Beaulieu 4008 ZM II (with an Ewa compendium), a Spectra lightmeter and a Manfrotto tripod.

Tony,

May I suggest that you re-post these questions in a new thread without 'x-ray' in the title as they kinda got lost in the hoopla here?

Cheers,

-Michael