"Coming Soon" a Short Film by James Burns

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Give us time.

Seriously, for people to watch it can take a bit. I'll gladly watch it when I have the sleep I so desperately right now need, and give honest feedback stuff.

Normally, I would say we all tend to answer the technical things first, then general discussion stuff. Often we have to just back off from watching because, well I for one, am often inundated with visual stuff all the time; trailers for new films, my own stuff being edited, storyboards, etc. . .hell, even just the wired.com best pictures

Edited by Adrian Sierkowski

Give us time.

Seriously, for people to watch it can take a bit. I'll gladly watch it when I have the sleep I so desperately right now need, and give honest feedback stuff.

Normally, I would say we all tend to answer the technical things first, then general discussion stuff. Often we have to just back off from watching because, well I for one, am often inundated with visual stuff all the time; trailers for new films, my own stuff being edited, storyboards, etc. . .hell, even just the wired.com best pictures

This post is from May lol.

Ummm... if you want to hear the blunt truth, what was that? There was no plot, nothing was resolved, the voiceovers were slow and annoying and the shots were quite boring and annoying without the use of a tripod.

Now for some feedback. If you're going to take an idea from a movie (here it would be "Stranger Than Fiction") you need to explain what it is, sure you show it was that guy, but who was that guy? Why was he in his house? Why could the main character hear it in his head? Why did he come back? What was with his parents? Why didn't the main character care that someone broke into his house?

The voiceovers were very boring and were poorly written, the note that was left on the fridge door took WAY too long to pass and the VO for it didn't even read it right.

All of the shots were either over or under exposed, so I would go stop by Home Depot or something and pick up some shop lamps for like $20 that come with their own tripods and use them to light your house and use the manual feature on your camera to set up the lighting better. Also, always use a tripod. You could easily tell that about 75% of the shots are handheld. If you did use a tripod, make sure you take your hand off of it when recording, even if you think you aren't moving the frame can still move.

It definitely shows that it was one of your first films, you just need to read up on writing dialogue as well as basic lighting and camera work and that should help.