website advice

• Premium Member

I'm in the processing of doing a web-site via my mac on I-web. I've got a few clips from a

feature I've shot which I want to use. The (m4v) files vary from 8 to 40mb in size. Will these take eons for folks to download/stream?

- Also is it best that they stream rather than are downloadable - as I'm a little (!) concerned about people downloaded copyrighted material... I don't want to piss off my producer!..

Any advice appreciated...

• Premium Member

Depends on their connection, overall. When I'm home, I can get to my 31mb reel in 'bout 10 seconds or so before it starts to stream, but I have a high speed connection as well as a newer computer. On dial up, or something slower, well it'll be that. . . slower.

It's best to stream IMHO, but anyone with a little computer savvy can download anything, ya know? Point being most people going to your site for your reel aren't going to be pirating copyrighted material, one would hope.

I would include a link to a large size file (something 'round 30~40mb) of high quality for your reel, and then a smaller more compressed version, both for streaming.

• Premium Member
I'm in the processing of doing a web-site via my mac on I-web. I've got a few clips from a

feature I've shot which I want to use. The (m4v) files vary from 8 to 40mb in size. Will these take eons for folks to download/stream?

- Also is it best that they stream rather than are downloadable - as I'm a little (!) concerned about people downloaded copyrighted material... I don't want to piss off my producer!..

Any advice appreciated...

Have 40mb files worked for you? I use i-Web for a .mac website and usually split video clips into separate podcasts (as i-Web considers them)

because i-Web recommends files no larger than 10mb in order for people to access them esaily. I have put up 25mb or so files to test but it seems

like they took a long time to load when people went to the site and I don't know if people have enough patience always to wait so i tend to make more,

smaller clips.

• Premium Member

Anything over 10megs in size and you are asking for trouble. Some folks believe they need to have some huge file with a frame size that is near the size of a monitor or it's a waste. In reality a 400x300 (400x225 for 16:9) size is more than adequate to see your work and appreciate it. Streaming can cause problems for many folks computers these days so you might be better to offer both download and stream options. I'll always choose a download over streams. As for your concern about copyright, perhaps you should get permission for showing stuff that does not belong to you. You can get into serious trouble if the stuff you show on a public internet is sensitive to those that own it.

I also launched my web site a week ago. I found that the best way to put a reel on so that almost anyone could see it is to compress it at 480x360 flash (.flv). I made sure to create a link in the same page for the Flash plug-in and to allow the player to start while still downloading. even if you have a good connection at home, the server might be busy, so you'll need to wait for a complete download. I had problems with compatibility of mac files, so I searched something else. even the Youtube clips are .flv so it should be working. you could even load your clips on Youtube and embed the link in your web-site, as this is an option provided by them; this way you save the server space, as your host becomes Youtube.

check my web-site at http://www.mihaibodea.ro/film_web/film.html

misu

I recommend using a flash player like you have on your website or uploading to Vimeo. Youtube really doesn't have the resolution/quality to do your work justice.

What compression algorithm did you use for the two clips on your site?

I recommend using a flash player like you have on your website or uploading to Vimeo. Youtube really doesn't have the resolution/quality to do your work justice.

What compression algorithm did you use for the two clips on your site?

I wouldn't know. I only used the Sorenson default settings, with 25fps and 480x360 output options. I found it looks much better then similar youtube clips.

misu