Arriscope Lenses

Landon D. Parks

Big enough to make a huge step in the industry though.

Well, thats possible. I have several cast members I would love to get, 2 has some pretty big names, but I wont release them here. Lets just say fairly big actors.

you see, for the last year I'v been working on a 3d computer game. and seeing as how its just about done, I plan to try to sell the game rights to a publisher.

If this works out, the budget could turn out to be more than 2 million, It all depends on how well I do on this first.

Im looking to at least get some kind of theatrical exposure with this, even if just a few screens.

Get one big film sorted, then hit it head on, give it all you've got. If it turns out good then that's your first foothold in the industry.

True....

Everyone wants to shoot a feature but that?s a lot of money for something that may or may not work out.

Thats true, but you really need a feature if you want to play with the big boys. And it's not hard to get attention to your film, if you at least get your film into a well known film festival, then your on your way.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
I read this book about short films called short films 101 that said it is better to shoot great quality shorts than to shoot barely get by features.

Everyone wants to shoot a feature but that?s a lot of money for something that may or may not work out.

Yeh, I have to agree with that. Think of the amount of effort you put into a small short, and then times it by 20. Only THAT amount of effort will get you a good feature.

At this very moment, you practically have all the time in the world for planning. Make the most of it, because once you start hiring cast, getting budgets e.t.c. your on a time limit. And theres no time for planning within that time limit.

• Premium Member

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point why 2 kids playing 'moviemaking' should plaster their posts all accross this forum. If the posts are of no benefict to other members (and these clearly are not) then they should just exchange emails and keep their conversations private.

Never read that one before, might have a look.

You read "The Guerilla Film Makers Movie Blueprint" ?

That's also pretty good, it basically gives a detailed structure of guerilla film making.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point why 2 kids playing 'moviemaking' should plaster their posts all accross this forum. If the posts are of no benefict to other members (and these clearly are not) then they should just exchange emails and keep their conversations private.

Bear in mind that it's 3 of us talking, and it IS film related. And it could be of some use to others. And posts aren't being plastered all acrros the forum, just speaking on Landon's own subject that he created. If anyone doesn't like it, don't read it! Quite simple.

(Thinking about it though, maybe we should set up some kind of chat between the 3 of us, it wouldn't be the first complaint)

"Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the point why 2 kids playing 'moviemaking' should plaster their posts all accross this forum. If the posts are of no benefict to other members (and these clearly are not) then they should just exchange emails and keep their conversations private."

go tell Tim and we will stop.

this forum is for the disunion film production in general

and maybe this is of use to someone of less stature than your self

Ok.

(What I'm writing here has nothing to do with cinematography, but I will delete it if it really matters that much)

Anyone got MSN Messenger? I don't have AIM, but I can get it.

(On msn messenger you can have a 3 way chat, well, 10 way if you wanted, but I've used it before and it seems pretty good)

(I'll delete this after)

Landon what have you got?

-----------------

Ok zrszach. My msn is " ashleysmithd@hotmail.com "

-------------------------

Oh right ok, it's just that zrszach is getting msn now. besides you'l probably like msn, i used to have AIM but then I switched.

@ Daniel & Landon:

I usually read every new thread in this forum with a subject title that makes any sense. If you guys enjoy sharing data and numbers from Panavision rental lists and Arri price lists, nobody will object to it, but is it really necessary to do it in public? Use email or some other person-to-person communication, because none of the questions or facts in your thread are original or enlightening. In fact, most questions could have been answered by doing a simple search on the forum.

Daniel, if you are a film student, please read a good technical book on basic film technology, you will find them at your library or at Amazon's web site. Or take a look at good sites like www.widescreenmuseum.com where all film & image formats are shown and explained in detail. With so much good information on the web, there's no need to waste other people's time with questions like the 1.5 aspect ratio thing. If you have to, it certainly belongs in the section FIRST TIME FILMMAKERS.

Landon, if you really need the best of equipment and imaging technology, talk to Panavision about their 65mm stuff designed for FAR AND AWAY or get a Cinema Products CP65 (used for Showscan and other special processes). ;)

Landon, if you really need the best of equipment and imaging technology, talk to Panavision about their 65mm stuff designed for FAR AND AWAY or get a Cinema Products CP65 (used for Showscan and other special processes).

I'll stick with 35mm I think. sorry this got off-topic, my origional question was answered... so thanks guys.

• Premium Member

If you're doing a low-budget film, you have to make sure every dollar is up there on the screen. So you really have to ask yourself if using the newest Arricam ST, etc. will actually be seen by the audience as an improvement in the image. You may find yourself needing to shift a few thousand dollars from your camera budget into getting a certain killer location or a certain actor, to pay for a few more efx shots, to have a day with a remote head crane, etc. So at that budget level, it's a waste of money to rent the newest, greatest equipment unless you simply can't accomplish the shots any other way.

I'd LOVE to have a 435 with me on the set all the time. But when I shot "Shadowboxer", which was a 6 million dollar movie or more (not sure exactly WHAT the precise budget was), I was lucky to get two 35mm sync-sound bodies out on location (you need two in case one goes down, unless you are shooting in a major rental town). I had no budget left over for an MOS camera, so I made sure one of my sync-sound cameras could do at least 50 fps, which meant the Panaflex Millenium in my case. It wasn't so much that I had to have the latest Panaflex, it was just because none of the others could reach 50 fps and they wouldn't even budget for me to get an Arri-III. So my second sync-sound camera was a GII to save some money.

Having the newest equipment is fun and all that, but you have to ask yourself if you aren't just renting it for your own ego's sake. There are SO many other things to spend money on that may have a greater impact in the quality of the image: better locations, more shooting days, more art direction, more lights, cranes, camera cars, etc. that even on big-budget films, you constantly rob Peter to pay Paul. So I'm always very careful to only order equipment that I think I absolutely need and will improve my ability to get a shot or work more efficiently.

For example, a 100K SoftSun seems like a big indulgence, but I can think of several very practical situations that a light like that may solve a problem -- so I may figure out a way to have one for a few days on some upcoming film. But I have to factor in whether that money would be better spent on renting a few more 18K HMI's or a Dino, etc.

I was lucky to get two 35mm sync-sound bodies out on location

6 million budget, and you where lucky to have 2 sync cameras on set? On a 6 million film, I don't understamnd why it would have been difficult to budget $1,500.00/day for a couple of cameras. But if it worked out, then great. But I would try my hardest to make sure my DP to get 2 sync cameras cameras on set... that seems pretty standard to me.

you know, this script I had for this ghost / Horror movie, involves a lot fo special effects, slow motion, camera tricks, ect (One of the reasons the 2c or III probably wont cut it) . And even when I budgeted building ALL the sets in a sound stage, my budget only came to $5 million, and that included 2 arricam studios, and a full-time pegasus platform crane (and Cinejib, Dollies, ect).

But when I budgeted shooting most of the film at a singel location (which is acceptable), I brought it down to the 2 million it is today.

My acutal EQUIPMENT budget came to around $100,000.00... Which for a 2 million film dont seem like a lot.

Here is ruff breakdown for the film, but I dont have the official budget sheet on me, sp these are just "Estimates":

$100,000.00 -Equipment

$200,000.00 - Film cost's, and Post DI.

$500,000.00 - Crew

$300,000.00 - Cast

$250,000.00 - Special effects

$100,000.00 - Production Design (not a lot of Production design needs done, most locations are already spooky enough)

$150,000.00 - Hotel

$60,000.00 - Travel

$50,000.00 - Food

$20,000.00 - Insurance

$80,000.00 - Location's (4 locations total)

$50,000.00 - Over-budget protection

$80,000.00 - Production Stuff (Office Rental / Shipment Fee's, general extras)

$1.9 million

that seems pretty complete to me.

In case your wondering why I only budgeted $100,000 for production design, see these photos:

basement1.jpg

eastwingbasement.jpg

potatopeeler.jpg

dtun27.jpg

dtun9.jpg

Now, for a horror flick like this is, this place pretty much has all the production design i need, but I still budgeted $100,000.00.

Edited by Landon D. Parks

• Premium Member

$300,000 for cast seems WAY low to me. In order to get the $2 mil financing you're going to need at least a couple of B list actors. Just those B list actors will probably eat up most of that budget. Also, I don't see where in the budget you have money for trucks and trailers. Also, besides the cast budget, I don't see any budget for above the line crew. Lots of stuff missing.

In order to get the $2 mil financing you're going to need at least a couple of B list actors.

#1, Im funding this privatly....

Just those B list actors will probably eat up most of that budget.

#2, If you get actors interested in a script, you don't always have to pay them a million dollars. Stolen summer got Aiden Quinn for $200,000.00....

$300,000 for cast seems WAY low to me.

Yes I agree. I did get a little drastic there. I'd budget more like $500,000.00 anyway.

Also, I don't see where in the budget you have money for trucks and trailers

See Equipment budget. there will be no makeup Trailer, as the makeup Dept. will be setup inside the location. and as fare as equipment trucks,ect. I have budgeted only for Ryder ot U-hale trucks. I see no need for the dancy "Camera Trucks" and stuff. and there is no way I"m paying Camera Service's $1,000.00/day for there trucks. I'll take my chance will 3 or 4 $30/day u-hals. :rolleyes: On top of everything else, we are 90% of the film will be shoot in a single location, and I can see only 1 other location where we would need to pile ALL the equipment into. the reast can be handled with a small amount of equipment.

I don't see any budget for above the line crew.

Each breakdown differs from person to person. Notice where it sais "Crew: $500,000.00"? This includes every crew member involved in the process, from Producer's to Production Assistants.

I dont need a super-large crew anyway, thats why the crew budget is low.

Lots of stuff missing.

Enlighten me, What am I missing, being brand new at this, I dont really know "Everything" involved in making the film. Im only budgeting for things that I know I'll need. But if theres stuff I left out, please let me know what it is.

I tell you what would be interesting to me, to see the full budget breakdown's for $2 million dollar movies. So I would know where to budget stuff at. Right now im working in the dark.

P.S) If I was going to ask for investments for this film, I would just rase the budget to $15,000,000 and go to a studio with 4 or 5 "A" list actors interested in it. Thats would be the best of all worlds. Not only would I not have to fund it, but I would get to work with big actors. however, I dont have that much faith in the studio system, seeing as how 99% of projects they are even interested in never get green lighted.

Thanks,

For a production of this magnitude you really need a professional to do a proper line budget with proper fringes and extensions. Complete breakdown budgets for feature films can run 30 pages long, even simpler small productions can have hundreds of line items that run 15 pages or more. There are a number of legal issues that must be dealt with concerning accounting regulations, workman's compensation, financial disclosures to inverstors and the government, overtime regulations and so on. You really need someone who has done this work to go through it all with you if you're thinking of mounting a multimillion dollar production. It's not something that can be explained in a simple forum posting.

And depending on the production situation, there can be a host of reasons why using a pre-rigged and shelved out production truck is far more advantageous and in the end cheaper to picking up an empty box truck from U-Haul.

Edited by Mitch Gross

• Premium Member
And depending on the production situation, there can be a host of reasons why using a pre-rigged and shelved out production truck is far more advantageous and in the end cheaper to picking up an empty box truck from U-Haul.

That is certainly true. Too bad the people with the money don't have to work in that U-Haul and don't understand WHY it's true.

QUOTE: In order to get the $2 mil financing you're going to need at least a couple of B list actors.

#1, Im funding this privatly...."

Well, unless it's actually YOUR $2 million, you're wrong about this.

Wait until you actually are sitting in a meeting with your prospective financiers to make a judgement about how important you think this is.

I guarantee you, you're going to hear "who's gonna be in it?" absolutely 100% of the time.

NOBODY coughs up that kind of money without someone bankable starring in it, directing it, producing it, or writing it, in that order.

Matt Pacini

unless it's actually YOUR $2 million

Yes, 2 million of my own money. If you read my previouse post's you will find out how I intend yo raise this money.

What investor will give a 16 y.o $2 million dollars to make a movie? Even if johnny depp was in it? They already take huge risk's will 20 and 30 year old direcots, im not even old enough to enter in a contract.

P.S) I would love to get an investor interested in the prject, and get money from them. But I doubt they would even set up a meeting with me because of my age. Although, most studios would be dieing to eat up the script I have (But they would'nt get it unless they hired me to direct it) :rolleyes:

• Premium Member
Although, most studios would be dieing to eat up the script I have.

I bet they would.

Btw, what kind of computergame are you programing there? All the games that I know have huge budgets and tons of programmers. Which makes me wonder how you are tackling this.

Btw, what kind of computergame are you programing there? All the games that I know have huge budgets and tons of programmers. Which makes me wonder how you are tackling this.

It's not just me working on it. I have a group of 5 people under contracts that they get a % when (And if) it sells.

And I have spent a lot of money on it so fare, I'm guessing around $20,000.00 at least. I have been working on it for years now.

I started about 4 years ago when I got with a Illustraiter to come up with designs and stuff for it, then I found 5 people willing to do variouse jobs, such as write the games AI, CG Modeling, animating, ect.

Most work on the game on the weekend and in there spare time, as they do have lives to live.

My job as of now is creative desginer, Animator and I had done a little modeling. (I don't do AI, because I have no idea how to program).

As of now, the game is almost done. all character models, Most AI and Animated cut-scenes are done. We are currently beta-testing it for bugs, ect.

and it may require more programming, add-ons, ect. We also still have to mix the sound for the game... Which I have a deal with a guy who owns a home music studio (Cakewalk, Pro Keyboard, Great sound system), where he mixes his sample music ect. He is composing the main song, and some of the sound effects under my supervison for a % also.

The reason this is not costing me $50,000,000 to make, like most games, is that: Most people are working %, they own there own equipment, ect. So I don't have a lot of "Out of Pocket" expense.

I would like to have the game complete (De-bugged and mixed) by Late Spring to early summer next year. then I will undertake the job of making the decisions to either sell the rights to the game, or market the game directly myself. Personally I would prefer to just sell the game for $2,000,000 and get it off my chest, but this may or may not happen.

I would let you guys in on what its about and show you samples, ect. But I don't want to for the fact that it may ruin a chance of selling the rights. Looks like you guys will have to wait :)

I will say this though: It's a 3D game, A shooter game, and its very dark. With nice graphics.