NLE Systems

Natalie Saito

I'm between 3 programs: Premiere Pro CS3, Canopus Broadcast 4 and Avid Media Composer Nitris. Only one works for the system that I bought--that is Premiere Pro. I know someone with FCP and Avid for HD but I'd really want to get a new system of my own. I'm wondering if I should wait for Avid HD to come out for Windows Vista Home or go for premiere HD now?

thanks a bunch!

Edited by Natalie Saito

• Premium Member

AVID is definitely more of a player in the world of editing than Premier is. AVID also discontinued Xpress Pro HD, and now it starts with Media Composer. But, much like cameras, overall, it's not what system you're using (negating any codec support etc) and how well you use it.

That being said, I've used Premier, AVID, and FCP; and while I like the ease of use in Premier and FCP, I find myself genuinely more drawn to AVID; but I'm not professional editor myself.

I'm between 3 programs: Premiere Pro CS3, Canopus Broadcast 4 and Avid Media Composer Nitris. Only one works for the system that I bought--that is Premiere Pro. I know someone with FCP and Avid for HD but I'd really want to get a new system of my own. I'm wondering if I should wait for Avid HD to come out for Windows Vista Home or go for premiere HD now?

thanks a bunch!

Edius Broadcast doesn't work on the system you have but PP CS3 does? Have you tried the trial version of Edius? If you haven't then download it free for 30 days. I have experienced that the "minimum specifications" for Canopus are on the conservative side.

On the other hand, Avid Media Composer minimum spec is Windows Vista Business SP1, I would not recommend using Nitris on Vista Home and I have not heard that they will ever support Vista Home Premium or Home Basic.

Avid Media Composer minimum spec is Windows Vista Business SP1, I would not recommend using Nitris on Vista Home and I have not heard that they will ever support Vista Home Premium or Home Basic.

Really? I hear they are working on one compatible for Home? Minimum spec for Business..would that mean it lacks some features in Avid Nitris?

thanks

• Premium Member

There is no such thing as best, only what woks for your needs. All edit systems do the same thing. What might make a difference in need is how they talk to the physical world. Doing DV? Then you need little more. Doing SDI and you need something to get your work off the hard drive. Wait for HD? Why? Are you using HD? Plan too? Any of the systems you mention will work fine.

Wait for HD? Why? Are you using HD? Plan too? Any of the systems you mention will work fine.

HD yes. my current program cant read HD files, like MXF. for Vista too.

Edited by Natalie Saito

Really? I hear they are working on one compatible for Home? Minimum spec for Business..would that mean it lacks some features in Avid Nitris?

thanks

The most Avid will be doing (at least in the near future) is updating MC software to Vista SP1 with MC v3.0. You won't lack features in Nitris DX but it won't work very well if at all. Vista is notorious for being a resource hog, and Home Edition is worst of all. That's why I don't think they will support Home Edition. I suggest just going back to Windows XP SP2 (or switch to Mac Pro) if you can. For more information on the system requirements on MC Nitris DX see http://www.avid.com/products/Media-Compose...equirements.asp

I would suggest looking over this very carefully if you haven't already to find out what else you will need. MC Nitris DX is very particular on the graphic cards you use in it's machine.

but what do you think about Premiere Pro CS3??

Vista came out really buggy..as like any new software but hopefully soon it'll be much better esp with the SP. The only thing about XP is that Windows soon will have software available for only Vista. I need to get a new computer anyway. Definitely considered Mac Pro but it's couple grand more (considering system req to run the editing software).

thanks guys!

Edited by Natalie Saito

but what do you think about Premiere Pro CS3??

I have PP CS3 for Macintosh but haven't loaded it so don't know much. I haven't used Premiere since v 5 because it was too slow and didn't have all the features I wanted.

The only thing about XP is that Windows soon will have software available for only Vista. I need to get a new computer anyway. Definitely considered Mac Pro but it's couple grand more (considering system req to run the editing software).

thanks guys!

According to Microsoft's Support Lifecycle, XP Pro SP2 is supported until 2010, XP Pro SP3 will probably be at least until 2013. I think the way Vista is NOT being accepted, XP Pro will be around for quite a while. What other Microsoft software do you use with your editing system? The only other suggestion is to get a Avid recommended machine. That would be very expensive too but if you are determined to go to MC Nitris you probably don't have much of a choice.

Guest tylerhawes

Ditto on what Doug said.

If you're running Media Composer software only, it's not such a big deal to put on most modern PCs. As soon as you add Adrenaline or Nitrus DX to the mix, you really need to have one of their certified systems or else you are 80% likely to run into issues, and Avid will not help you resolve them on non-approved systems, and probably you will not find anyone else with the solution either since most Avid users knew to get the certified systems. It's just not worth the hassle. So if you can't afford it, stick with Premiere Pro and you'll be fine and can always upgrade later when you can justify the cost.

i'm not an editor, so wouldn't need the top-of-the-line editing system.

Premiere Pro CS3 will do the job to edit HD footage, color correct, add video/audio effects, etc? basically reliable system that does the job and does it efficiently for the price.

the system i just got:

HP Vista SP1

Processor E8400 3.0 Ghz

3 GB 800 Mhz Ram

Nvidia 8800GT, 512 mb card

thanks guys for all your help!

"Cons: No Mac version of OnLocation software; no scene detection or Capture-panel monitoring when capturing HDV; lacks support for common HD formats; inconsistencies in the interface; built-in titler lacks character-based text animation; indistinct upgrade path; lacks OMF-export capability; no batch rendering; Trim panel edits not fully interactive."

http://www.macworld.com/article/59063/2007...ocs3.html?t=230

they claim CS3 "lacks support for common HD formats." what do you think? what about the others (excluding Onlocation software)..are the others major or minor flaws.

big thanks!

does XP professional SP2/SP3 and premiere pro CS3 support MXF files?

i got the CS3 trial and got an error saying the program didnt support the files I tried to import.

is this a Vista problem only or does even XP professional not support HD files too?

how about avid? is it compatible with XP professional SP2/SP3? Is Nitris the only Avid that supports MXF files and other HD media files?

if XP professional SP2/SP3 works (with Avid system that reads/supports HD and/or Premiere Pro CS3) I'll just stick with that.

thanks!

if XP professional SP2/SP3 works (with Avid system that reads/supports HD and/or Premiere Pro CS3) I'll just stick with that.

thanks!

Supports most if not all HD file formats; in this case MXF files.

thanks a lot!