Ultra16 - questions

Kristian Schumacher

Hi everyone,

I have been looking a little at the U16-thing, among other places here: http://marylandfilms.com/16mm-super16-ultra16-compared.html

And now I am wondering about 2 things:

1. Why does the U16 format stop at 1.85:1 and does not go out as far towards the film edge as S16? If it went as close as the S16-forrmat, you would get a 1.92:1 (?)

2. Has anyone opened up the gate to cover both U16 and S16 frames? I know the centre would have to be set for one of them, but depending on lenses used it may be OK?

I was thinking that for 16:9 you would frame for S16 and for blow-up to 2.40:1 you could frame for

U16. That should still be better than cropping from an S16-frame, if I am getting my head around this right.

Kristian

• Premium Member

Kristian

Please do an archive search for Ultra16. This topic has been beaten to death, then resurrected and beaten to death again, then dragged out and shot, then run over by a bulldozer, then dropped off a cliff, etc.

Best,

-Tim

Oh no! I sense another Ultra16 argument approaching.... :unsure:

:P

An argument may be on the horizon, but not by me. Ive read Tim's previous statements about ultra 16mm and I would never doubt his technical expertise.

Hahaha!

I was seriously considering adding a disclaimer to my post " ....It is in no way my intention to start a which-is-better-r16-s16-or-u16 discussion again...." Maybe I should have :lol:

I was honestly just wondering about these two questions - because the other threads tend to - as you may have noticed - derail a bit ;)

I don't want to cause any heart attacks or broken families, so I am happy to leave it alone. And for the record, I am developing my own format called MegaDouble16mm. You expose half a frame on a 35mm reel, leave the perfs inside the frame and....Ehh...and then.....

Kristian

Hello Tim and others,

Just when you thought Ultra 16 was gone or never was or was just a myth.....

I'm just busting at the seams to say this, but I was told not to mention it yet....well, I can only keep a secret for so long you know.

I will say this much....Ultra 16 is real and there will be a press release in the next few weeks that will give you the details on where you can have your camera professionally converted and professionally transferred.

I have talked to some of the people involved and it's for real.

Mike

• 4 months later...