Panasonic Viewfinder

Matt Workman

Hi,

I've seen this rigged up before but I just wanted to ask again.

If I was to adapt a Panasonic 2/3" viewfinder to a HVX200 what is the video connection? I guess it powers through the same connection. I've heard you need some sort of breakout box.

Panasonic Viewfinder

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-AJ-VF15P-Vie...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sony Viewfinder

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DXF-701-View-Find...1QQcmdZViewItem

Would a SONY viewfinder work as well?

I shoot so much HVX/Mini35/Letus35 that owning my own viewfinder would be worth it at this point.

Thanks,

Matt

PS: too bad the RED viewfinder is proprietary

Edited by Matt Workman

It can be done, but it is no small enterprise. The signal needs to be the Y (luminence) channel from your component out. You'll also have to supply 12v power to the viewfinder and figure out how you'd physically mount it. We've done all of this for the MOVIEtube ST, so the image can be viewed in HD. We could do this work for you, but it would cost a few pennies.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I have been thinking about this too. I had two shoots last week, both of which required handheld. Holding the HVX is like holding a brick, especially with a mic and Litepanel mounted. That sucker gets heavy. Forget trying to shoot anything with the lens at the tele end. Super shaky earthquake cam. Or maybe I'm a weakling, not sure.

Is it possible to rig either a Panasonic viewfinder, or my Canon FU-1000 ( from my XL2)? I could see some type of shoulder mount with double handgrip and an Anton/Bauer gold mount on the back. Rig a Foxi and Zoe to the handgrips. It would be nice to be able to go hands free.

Then, maybe figure out how to chop the lens off and mount a Fuji 1/3" 3.5mm wide angle zoom...

...or should I just get the JVC?

• Premium Member

Actually, I like JVC's PL Mount adapter for their 1/3" cameras. No moving parts, no power needed. Again, the problem of getting it onto the HVX, hence my thoughts of a lensectomy, among other things. I'm not sure I like Movietube's angled camera concept, though that does help the problem of lens adapters making small cameras ridiculously long.

I'd like to be able to use a "regular" video lens, like the Fuji 3.5x13, rather than cine lenses for most jobs. I don't have the $$$ to buy/rent a set of primes, or zooms and a lot of the stuff I shoot doesn't have the budget for them, nor do they require them. But, having an HVX that rides on my shoulder, has a viewfinder, interchangeable lenses, 14.4V power for the camera and accessories, would make a stable and comfortable camera set up. I like my handheld shots to be on the shoulder.

Still and all, with all the pieces: camera, lens, viewfinder, fabricated shoulder rig, would run about $15K-$17K, plus who knows how much for the mod. I might be crazy enough to try and hack the mod myself, but it's also a question of the tools and staying within tolerances, not to mention dust abatement. Not sure I have $5199 + to toss around for the mod, but I'm still intrigued.