Kicker light

Can any one please explain kicker?

Say for a CU, is it the splash hitting on a small area of cheak and under the eyes?

Do we really need a kicker?

And do we do it for character/faces only???

Please put images if any one can............i'll grateful

• Premium Member

I would add that a kicker is usually more from the side then directly behind the person.

Here is an example of what I would call a kicker: Interview.jpg

As far as whether or not you NEED it, that's up to you.

I would add that a kicker is usually more from the side then directly behind the person.

I would like to think that it is very important as it brings out shape and dimension. As for my practice, I will make sure that I place kicker for the subject even it is difficult to place the light sometimes.

• Premium Member

It's certainly not something I would ALWAYS do. That would get boring. A lot of the time though, it can have a great look. You can do it very subtly as with one tube of a kino or very hard as with a source-4. Sometimes, kickers even have another purpose like highlighting sweat on a person's face or on an object. If you look at commercials for soda and beer, the can very often has a nice kicker on it to highlight the obligatory cool water droplets all over it.

I am not been able to see the picture bro.

if possible please post it

uh sorry, i see the picture now.......sorry

Can't i delete or edit my post???

So what i get is that if u light the subject, and in order to break the flatness a kicker would work fine.

That can be motivated as well? right?

• Premium Member

I tend to think of an Edge Light as something harder and from more directly behind the subject.

Ala: interview2.jpg

Look at the area around her shoulder.

Again, as far as whether or not you NEED it, it's up to you. If it is motivated or just looks cool, try it.

• Premium Member

I'm from the school of thought that the kicker creates the edge or rim lighting. That probably gets into semantics. But generally the kicker is from behind and the side, the back light is from behind and high and a hair light is from behind and more from the top. none of these terms indicates whether the source is soft or hard. you can have a soft back with a hard kicker etc. and to answer your question do we need them: no. But usually one or a combination of them can add great dimension to your lighting design.