Is this a good deal?

Rick Garcia

• Premium Member

for $250 it's not bad.

The k-3 either works like a tank or it doesn't. I wonder what mount it has? It's a russian bolex and I'm not crazy about the viewfinder, but they work well.

The ASC Manual is very nice for $30. I forget what edition they're on now; should be something like 10th?

Dunno 'bout the projector, overall, as I don't use them and can't see a point rather than a nice conversation piece (or you can make a home-made telecine, if you wanted to).

Make sure to send the light meter out and have it calibrated, but it's a good steal as well so long as it all works.

for $250 it's not bad.

The k-3 either works like a tank or it doesn't. I wonder what mount it has? It's a russian bolex and I'm not crazy about the viewfinder, but they work well.

The ASC Manual is very nice for $30. I forget what edition they're on now; should be something like 10th?

Dunno 'bout the projector, overall, as I don't use them and can't see a point rather than a nice conversation piece (or you can make a home-made telecine, if you wanted to).

Make sure to send the light meter out and have it calibrated, but it's a good steal as well so long as it all works.

thanks for the info. what type of film should I look for with 16mm cameras?

• Premium Member

Any/all of the kodak and fuji 16mm film will work with the K-3. It is AFAIK, only a 1 claw camera, so you can use 1R or 2R (though that's hard to find) film.

Also any orwo 16mm stock will work.

If oyu want to run it through the projector, though, you'd need to shoot/develop reversal film, which is made for projection. I'm not, honestly, sure what would happen running neg through it; but I'd NEVER recommend it (too valuable, ya know?)

• Premium Member
thanks for the info. what type of film should I look for with 16mm cameras?

16mm. :rolleyes:

Call Kodak directly at 800-621-FILM (3456).

Ask them to send you (2) rolls (or more) 100' rolls of KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Camera Film (Product #7285, $36 or so each).

You can have it processed many places via mail order... Cinelab is a sponsor of this site and could do it for you.

You could show this film on a projector if you like or have Cinelab transfer it to video.

• Premium Member
If oyu want to run it through the projector, though, you'd need to shoot/develop reversal film, which is made for projection. I'm not, honestly, sure what would happen running neg through it; but I'd NEVER recommend it (too valuable, ya know?)

Running neg through a film projector will project a negative image...but some neg stocks are thicker than reversal stocks so it could present a problem.

This is a non-issue with 16mm as opposed to 8mm since most labs will make a 16mm print for you from your neg. They used to do this for 8mm in the US, but I don't think anyone here does that anymore. About a year ago I saw a place in UK that did it.

One thing to mention about the K-3!!! Do not buy it if you hope to do sync sound with it. Even if you do buy a crystal motor for this beast, you CANNOT quiet it enough to record any sound other than scratch track. The amount of effort and money you'd spend blimping this sucker would be better spent renting a quiet 16mm camera that takes 400' loads which this camera also doesnt do. I'm not dogging the K-3, but see it for what it is...a small visual step up from Super8 but far more limited in terms of sound productions.