1st time camera Buying TV broadcasting

Hello Every one ...

i was searching thru the forum, and didnt find the prefect answer and thought it would be better to ask pro's here ....

ill make it simple ... i am not a professional film maker .... but i am in a situation where i have to record a TV show my self (with help of two friends) here in USA every week and send it to Pakistan to be aired on Television...basically i am suppose to Shoot few people sitting in park disssucing differnt issues, then we might ask people on street on their views ..its all out door shoots ...... and it should have a look and feel of a movie ... i have a high-end computer which i can use to eidt our video , the aim is it should look professionally shot and to the standard of putting in on television...

i would like to know what is the best choice i have in terms on buying a camera under $5000.00 , which would give me a film like shooting and good voice? i know there are JVC , SONY , CANON miniDV HD camera's or P2 format ....people are talking about Canon XH A1 or Sony HVR-V1U or JVC Pro GY-HD200u ... but i am really new to all this and sort of non-technical person when it comes to cameras... and would appricate every one's help ...what would be a good camera value wise out there to buy for the kind of work i want to do...

Thanks

I assume that you need the sound kit & tripod included in the $5,000 and that you'll be shooting for 4x3 PAL? You should check with a dealer that they can provide you with a PAL MiniDV camera. There are a lot of people shooting programmes for the BBC still using this format.

Shooting progressive tends to be more filmic than interlace, but there's a lot you can do in post to create the film look. If you want progressive I'd go for the Panasonic DVX100 or interlace the Sony PD170 - the latter was commonly used by the BBC before the Z1 came out.

thanks so much for your quick reply !

by Z1 you mean Sony HVR-Z1U ? i need a look of "film like" as we are making a pilot of this show, which if approved will get funding from the channel ... my pirority for now would be to have a VERY good video and audio quality to impress the TV channel ... i dont know if u would really need a PAL or not as the broadcasting is done from Dubai and they should have NTSC system too .. also i can convert PAL to NTSC using a PC i think ...

should i look at HD camera's ? i know Sony HVR-Z1U is HD camera ..would that record video for me in a better quality then Panasonic DVX100 or Sony PD170 ... what am i losing on when buying a DVX100 or Sony PD170 over Sony HVR-Z1U

thanks

Dubai is a PAL country, so I wouldn't deliver on NTSC, you won't get any thanks and they'll be less than impressed. For highest quality in a PAL country you should be shooting at 25 FPS.

I'm trying to keep things simple, if you shoot with an US Sony HVR-Z1U, you're going to have to do a standards conversion so that you can deliver the 1080i60 HD programme in a 25 FPS PAL format. It's done all the time, so not impossible - I'd tend to do it direct from the HD to PAL rather than go via NTSC.

However, the best way would be to shoot with a camera set up for European system shooting at 25 FPS (1080i50 on a Z1) - I know you can get HDV cameras adjusted (at a cost) to do so.

I'd check up on your budget, that might apply some limitations, but the Z1 seems to be OK in the US. Also, allow for at least an external shotgun microphone and a tripod.