ND Gels For Car INT.

Is it better to rig an ND gel to the inside of a window of a car or outside the window? I would assume inside, so it wouldn't blow away. Have a shoot with a car INT. We have a trailer not much light so I was thinking of using ND's to balance the light levels between the INT. and outside.

actually its 6in one half a dozen in the other. Its easier to slap the gel on the out side and tape it all down. If you dont hwv much time thats the fastest way to go. but you run the risk of ot comming loose in a shot.

if you have the time to cut the gels and make them the window sizes and can tape ery well I think inside is the way to go. But honestly I have never had the time and always just tape on the outside and keep a eye on it.

Good luck

• Premium Member
Is it better to rig an ND gel to the inside of a window of a car or outside the window? I would assume inside, so it wouldn't blow away. Have a shoot with a car INT. We have a trailer not much light so I was thinking of using ND's to balance the light levels between the INT. and outside.

I'm not sure I understand the application of the ND. You're lighting from the trailer, but you want to bring the driver/pass side windows down, but you're lighting frontal? I don't really understand...

Either way, I would say put it outside so there's less a risk of reflections, etc closer to the talent. It'd be less noticeable behind the glass. Just use double sided tape and then paper tape the rest down.

Thanks guys. I'm not trying to bring down the driver/passenger windows down, I'm mainly looking to have a balance with the window in the back of the car so I can get detail outside rather then a blown out look (which I'm not going for and the format is digital) for the shots when that element is big in frame.

Thanks