Super 8 camera with smallest front lens diameter

Raymond O'Neil

Hi, I've been researching information about shooting anamorphic in Super 8 and was reading that it's best to use Super 8 Cameras that have the smallest front lens diameter. Some anamorphic lenses have rear thread sizes of around 50mm and I guess the smaller the front lens size of teh Super 8 Camera the less one will need to zoom in to avoid vignetting.

Well,I was wondering if you guys know which Super 8 cameras have the smaller/smallest front lens diameters... Or what are the signs I should look for if I search on eBay for example?

Thanks a lot

Hi, I've been researching information about shooting anamorphic in Super 8 and was reading that it's best to use Super 8 Cameras that have the smallest front lens diameter. Some anamorphic lenses have rear thread sizes of around 50mm and I guess the smaller the front lens size of teh Super 8 Camera the less one will need to zoom in to avoid vignetting.

Well,I was wondering if you guys know which Super 8 cameras have the smaller/smallest front lens diameters... Or what are the signs I should look for if I search on eBay for example?

Thanks a lot

As for my experience of service of anamorphic lenses, I think, you need Super 8 camera with free focus lens, adjusted on " infinity".

I recommend to check of russian Quarz 1x8S-2.

This is cine camera with front zoom attachment, C-mount screw on front side of body and free focus 12.5 mm prime lens inside of body.

The prime lens have aperture manual and auto control.

The camera have spring motor and use of "silent" Super 8 cartridges.

The front zoom attachment have screw for filters SPM46 x 0.75 mm.

Other idea - russian Super 8 Avrora-218, this is cine camera with electrical motor, and free focus 12.5 mm lens.

The front anamorphic adapters can be from russian square front glass NAS lenses.

Thank you. But I was looking more for cameras that run on batteries.

Also, as far as the from diameter goes, the reason why I am asking about is that super8man web-site gives preference to Bauer Royal camera which has 49mm front thread size, which would be easier to fit for example Kowa anamorphic lenses.

I'm just wondering what other cameras are suitable better...

Besides the little fixed-focus early Kodaks that were REALLY small, the smallest I've seen in terms of lens diameter are the Agfa Microflexes, which are really Minolta Pocket Z-8s (don't tell anyone...) I think they are 34mm. The Kodaks don't have filter threads.

The Canon 310s are pretty small-- for some reason 43mm sticks out in my mind. Same with the Minolta 401s and 601s. Both 46mm?

As for 49mm-- there are LOTS of those. The smaller sound Elmos are 49mm. It's a standard size. If the zoom lens is only 3:1 or 4:1, there's a good chance it's 49mm, on any camera.

Incidentally-- the biggest filter diameter I have seen is the Beaulieu 5008, Schneider 6-66 with the lens hood. Huge. Not sure about the Angenieux. And the 1008 is 72mm. The big Canons and Nizos are 67mm.