Hi guys---

Question for anyone who applied and did/didn't get into NFTS Cinematography MA program: What kind of experience did you have upon application? Any degrees or certificates, or would they have been judging you solely upon the reels you submitted?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've been out of the loop for a while so what I say might be completely incorrect in what I am about to say... A few years ago I think the tutors used to look more at your images than your experience. If they liked what they saw, they would ask you in for an interview regardless of your level of experience, as they considered that as long as you had an eye, they could teach you the mechanics of actually making images. However, I think recently they prefer a little bit more 'practical' experience though I think that is not to say you need much...as far as I know. I would say anyone should apply regardless of what level of 'experience' they have as sometimes people get accepted though they have very little practical experience. If the tutors really like your work, sometimes they make exceptions etc.. In my year there were different degrees of experience: I had studied cinematography at the Northern Film School before and had also worked as a camera trainee, camera assistant and clapper loader for 4 years on tv dramas and some feature films. Other classmates had also worked on feature films in various capacities and/or also been to other film/media courses around the world, others had very little 'practical filmmaking' experience but had an naturally good eye.

• 6 months later...