HELP! Moviecam Super America

ericyeong

Hello,

Recently I just bought a Moviecam Super America for my own low budget film, but it came without any manual.. tried to source on the web, but couldn't find any.. even on Moviecam site. Anyone has any idea where I could get it? Or any owners out there willing to send me a soft copy or carbon copy? I'll pay for printing and shipping cost..

I've never use this camera before, so.. not familiar with it at all. It doesn't come with any batteries as well. I know it is running on 24V DC, could I use a 30V DC battery on this camera? (which most Arri camera are using now). Most of the batteries in the rental here are 30V, just want to be sure before I plug into my camera...

There are several 1000' and 500' mags included, most of them the LCD panel doesn't show up any numbers... only one mag that show up '000'. Why? Are they running on some internal battery? Or light up when attached to powered camera?

I kind like the camera despite it was built 24 years ago... Although it is quite bulky, I think it is a good camera.

Your help and answers are much appreciated..

Thanks,

Eric

Hello,

Recently I just bought a Moviecam Super America for my own low budget film, but it came without any manual.. tried to source on the web, but couldn't find any.. even on Moviecam site. Anyone has any idea where I could get it? Or any owners out there willing to send me a soft copy or carbon copy? I'll pay for printing and shipping cost..

I've never use this camera before, so.. not familiar with it at all. It doesn't come with any batteries as well. I know it is running on 24V DC, could I use a 30V DC battery on this camera? (which most Arri camera are using now). Most of the batteries in the rental here are 30V, just want to be sure before I plug into my camera...

There are several 1000' and 500' mags included, most of them the LCD panel doesn't show up any numbers... only one mag that show up '000'. Why? Are they running on some internal battery? Or light up when attached to powered camera?

I kind like the camera despite it was built 24 years ago... Although it is quite bulky, I think it is a good camera.

Your help and answers are much appreciated..

Thanks,

Eric

I have a copy of the Professional Cameraman's Handbook, Fourth Edition, which has a section on the Moviecam Compact. Don't know if this is the same camera. Amazon still has this book in stock for about $74.

I have a copy of the Professional Cameraman's Handbook, Fourth Edition, which has a section on the Moviecam Compact. Don't know if this is the same camera. Amazon still has this book in stock for about $74.

Hi, thanks for your reply... I've searched that as well... It is a different camera, and the content is very simple as well. It is pretty hard to get informations/manuals for this camera on net, maybe not many people using this so called 'beast' or 'tank' camera anymore... :( . Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of experienced cameraman around that could help me, they maybe used or owned them before...

Hi, thanks for your reply... I've searched that as well... It is a different camera, and the content is very simple as well. It is pretty hard to get informations/manuals for this camera on net, maybe not many people using this so called 'beast' or 'tank' camera anymore... :( . Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of experienced cameraman around that could help me, they maybe used or owned them before...

hollywoodmanuals.com has a "reprint" manual for $20 plus postage.

http://hollywoodmanuals.com/

If you handled a BNCR or an Arri 35 blimp you wouldn't call this a beast or a tank.

Eric, I have 24v batteries for my Superamerica however I have used rental house batteries that run 30v and the camera ran fine with it. Just make sure the xlr cables match correctly with the battery so that your polarity isn't crossed, otherwise you will blow the camera's fuse. The digital mags have an internal battery so I'm assuming those batteries need to be replaced. Just unscrew the clear plastic covering and the digital read out plate, underneath you will find the battery. I don't remember what kind of battery it needs but it is not a hard one to find. Don't be afraid of taking the plates off. There isn't much to mess up underneath there.

If you handled a BNCR or an Arri 35 blimp you wouldn't call this a beast or a tank.

Yea.. I agree with that... I've tried handhold 535A through out a movie shoot.. I think the Super America got a better balancing. Just a couple pounds heavier than 535 I guess...

Thanks for the info mate...

Eric, I have 24v batteries for my Superamerica however I have used rental house batteries that run 30v and the camera ran fine with it. Just make sure the xlr cables match correctly with the battery so that your polarity isn't crossed, otherwise you will blow the camera's fuse. The digital mags have an internal battery so I'm assuming those batteries need to be replaced. Just unscrew the clear plastic covering and the digital read out plate, underneath you will find the battery. I don't remember what kind of battery it needs but it is not a hard one to find. Don't be afraid of taking the plates off. There isn't much to mess up underneath there.

Hi Austin,

Thanks for your info, I'll check that out.....

Regards,

Eric

We have a Superamerica we trying to sell. I think it is a great camera, though heavy and bulky as you mentioned.

I will put it again for sale.

Can you contact me off list just to know how much should I expect getting for it.