Debayering?

Andrew McCarrick

How does one go about debayer from the Origin/Evolution, to get proper files for editing on DVS Clipster? Would I have to go to a certain post house or could I do that process myself (seeing as how I plan on purchasing Codex Recorders myself.)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

One thing you have is options- Assuming you're talking about conform rendering and not proxies...? There are software and hardware/software combinations available for purchase that handle DALSA RAW natively. Codex is not the usual method for finish rendering of the DALSA RAW to 4K RGB, but it is a very common method for rendering HD (or lower res) proxies.

There is also a nice mix of larger and smaller "DALSA compliant" post facilities doing business now. If you planning to work with a company that isn't already handling DALSA RAW files, I can help get any professional shop up to speed.

While DALSA is not in the software business, if you are shooting with DALSA cameras, and want to integrate DALSA's rendering software (Bayer2RGB) into your workflow, I can provide your people with the latest version of our software.

Interesting to note, I also saw a "magic box" in our office today, this box was hooked up directly to a camera and rendering our 4K files to RGB and playing them LIVE (as in less than a 1-frame delay) to a 4K monitor. It was extremely impressive. Unless I'm mistaken, the reason it was here is because it's on it's way to Cine Gear this weekend.

Hope this helps,

I.

Illya Friedman

DALSA

Digital Cinema Division

Woodland Hills, CA

www.dalsa.com/dc

Visit us at CINE GEAR EXPO this FRIDAY and SATURDAY (6/20 & 6/21)

Interesting to note, I also saw a "magic box" in our office today, this box was hooked up directly to a camera and rendering our 4K files to RGB and playing them LIVE (as in less than a 1-frame delay) to a 4K monitor. It was extremely impressive. Unless I'm mistaken, the reason it was here is because it's on it's way to Cine Gear this weekend.

This is exactly what I would need for my feature film... are they planning on make these boxes available for productions to monitor to an Astro 4k x 2k (3840 x 2160)? I was thinking I'd have to have Codex get something together and add-on a sub unit from the Codex Digital Recorder... but if it could be done right from the camera I guess that could work as well.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

Guest Glen Alexander

went to dalsa site, i would disagree with opening advert, everything looks better when.... you actually have a good story to tell. just my .02

Guest Glen Alexander

i've used dalsa chips before in scientific environment and actually like them. usually dalsa much better than the typical kodak chips, so when in your product line are you using their chips in your products?

when shooting with anamorphic lenses which optically compress the image, how are you uncompressing and de-Bayering to get a decent image?