ACL Mags

Guest Ole Dost

Guest Ole Dost

I aquired an Eclair ACL two months ago. It came with a french made 200ft Mag and one 400ft Mag -english version with capstan drive. The Mags are very clean inside. Also the camera seems to run smoothly. Although I sent the camera away for servicing. But I kept the Mags here because sending uge parcels to the US from Europe is VERY expensive.

Would you send mags for servicing when they seem to be in good shape?

Another question:

Did anybody of you ACL users ever use the 200ft loads for the AAton A-Minima with the 200ft Mags of the ACL? I know that they are fitting when you take away the two disks protecting the film for daylight loading. But the loads are emulsion out. Is this any problem?

-Lots of questions...Your advice is very helpful!

THank you!

Best regards,

Ole

I aquired an Eclair ACL two months ago. It came with a french made 200ft Mag and one 400ft Mag -english version with capstan drive. The Mags are very clean inside. Also the camera seems to run smoothly. Although I sent the camera away for servicing. But I kept the Mags here because sending uge parcels to the US from Europe is VERY expensive.

Would you send mags for servicing when they seem to be in good shape?

Another question:

Did anybody of you ACL users ever use the 200ft loads for the AAton A-Minima with the 200ft Mags of the ACL? I know that they are fitting when you take away the two disks protecting the film for daylight loading. But the loads are emulsion out. Is this any problem?

THank you!

Best regards,

Ole

Test your mags with film when you get the camera back : that's the best way to know whether there is a problem with them. But beforehand, look them over carefully : is the film path clean ? Do all the rollers turn smoothly ? Does the film run through the mags smoothly ? You can run the camera with film with the mag doors removed to observe the film motion. Also, it ony takes 3 or 4 screws to remove the film channel leadind from the feed side to the receiving side : this should be inspected as it could have hidden dirt or film bits, or stuck rollers inside. The srews are the ones with the rounded heads, not the ones with the flat heads (which are for roller axles and such). Also, if you remove that film channel, the spring-loaded rounded piece of plastic that pushes the mag door open will come off with the film channel, so expect it to jump out (it's easy to put back, though).

But of course, try it out with film to be sure it doesn't get scratched, or bunched, or whatever else. ACL mags are well designed, so yours may well be in useable shape as you got them.

And yes, you can use Aaton Minima loads in your mags. Both the 200 and 400 ft mags take either Emulion In or Emulsion Out winds, since the feed side is not driven but just pulled (and the rollers are placed in such a way that both are acceptable).

:

THank you!

Best regards,

Ole

My experience with Aminima loads on ACL is that you need to disengage the daylight mag covers, or disks, INSIDE a changing bag and then wind the load in the feed side opposite as you normally would on your particular mag. In my mag this means winding counterclockwise.

Different mags are wound/ loaded differently, so you have to play around with it to get it right. As long as the film goes emulsion side up with the sprocket holes with right side up through the gate, you are in good shape. No twisting the film inside the mag though!

2575037885_e253e13db8.jpg

Guest Ole Dost
My experience with Aminima loads on ACL is that you need to disengage the daylight mag covers, or disks, INSIDE a changing bag and then wind the load in the feed side opposite as you normally would on your particular mag. In my mag this means winding counterclockwise.

Different mags are wound/ loaded differently, so you have to play around with it to get it right. As long as the film goes emulsion side up with the sprocket holes with right side up through the gate, you are in good shape. No twisting the film inside the mag though!

2575037885_e253e13db8.jpg

Thanks a lot for your helpful answers! Great help indeed. I am looking forward to the arrival of my ACL from servicing. Great little tool.

Ole Dost