2.35:1 anamorphic with XL2

DrZhivago

I was wondering if it was possible to shoot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with the XL2, i know that there are lense converters to 16:9, and the XL2 offers a 16:9 ratio, so would you combine the two to achieve something close to 2.35, or what would i have to do, any help would be great, thanks.

chris

• Premium Member

Yes, you can either combine a 1.33X squeeze to a 16x9 image using an anamorphic adaptor, or use a 2X anamorphic 35mm cine lens on the P&S Technik Mini-35 adaptor while shooting in 4x3 mode.

Since 2.35 isn't a video monitor aspect ratio, however, at some point you'd have to convert the footage to a 2.35 letterboxed image on either a 16x9 or 4x3 recording. If this project is for video-only, it may be simpler to just compose video for letterboxing to 2.35 and forget about anamorphic adaptors. Unless you want anamorphic lens artifacts -- I saw a short film shot on the Canon XL1 using the P&S Mini-35 and scope lenses. It looked cool because of the super shallow-focus anamorphic look with all of the scope lens flares.