Teaching the teacher

Hey all,

I've mentored a handful of graduated students from our local film program on how to take their knowledge and get a film made. Trouble is, my education has been on film sets and I haven't had any real training on cinematography beyond the very basics, and I feel like I'm doing my students a disservice by not being able to give them something more than a muddled together technical shot.

I've thought of taking advanced photography classes, and I've glanced over a couple books on the subject, but I haven't found an approach that has really helped me develop my own skills.

Based on your experiences, are cinematography schools worth it, or hiring a local DP for his time and having him or her train me how to pull it all together.

Just for clarity, I do know how to run a camera (at least my CP and soon to be arriving ACL). I do know how to set lights, I do know how to take meter readings and adjust. It's the finer points and how to put it all together so that it looks like a painting and not a paint by numbers, if you get my meaning.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Brandt

I was asked about two days ago why is it that I like working with people and mentoring them in my "real day job", and the thing that I often keep answering when I am asked that question is that I learn so much about myself and by doing so makes me a better person.

So, ask your students to ask you questions, that way you can learn from them as well and learn more about yourself. I like your honesty coming on this board and asking what to do. Given that we have established a digital conection, I would like to share some of my thoughts.

I think you can start by being honest with your students, setting expectations from the very beginning would be a good start, and asking them what knowledge they would like to walk away from after taking your class. You know, cinematography class is not just about turning on a light or the camera and shoot. You know that. I think that you could compliment your class with real life scenarios. Pick a scene from a movie and try to duplicate it. See how your students break donw the process, each one of them will try it differently, you can learn a lot from an excercise like that. Don't just teach them how to ligth that specific scene but also teach them about what tools are available as well. Can you get a dolly, jib, steadi-cam into the class room? Maybe invite some real world DP's that can inspire your students. Ask each one of them what to define cinematography. To tell you about their favorite movies and get them all involved in the process. You will see how all of them will give you just about every answer in the book. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show. Get them engaged with one another. Collaboration is one of the principal aspects of cinematography as well as taking directions (from your director) as well as giving directions (to your gaffer,grip, etc). Maybe you could teach them that discipline as well. Putting together shot list. Are you computer savvy? can you use tools like Illustrator and Photoshop or any other drawing tool that you could let your students reach into their mind and realize the potential that they could use a tool such as those rather than pencil and paper to draw up shot list, shot diagrams, etc...

Not long ago I was working on a student film and I had a big kick at watching most of the student crew look at my beatup doorway dolly in amazement. When I inquired about how many of them have ever sat down and operated a dolly, not a single student raised their hand. I then made it a mandate that I would give each one a turn at being dolly grip, etc. They got a kick at how to mark each stop, what they learned from just pulling/pushing and tearing it down and putting it together was amazing. That was just half the fun. You should have seen them when I put the jib together for the last shot of the movie. They felt empowered and walked away with a new found sense of knowledge and felt that they have learned a ton.

As usual my $0.02...

C.

Carlos,

Thanks for your input. You bring up some good points, particularly about inspiration, which is exactly what my goal is for the filmmakers I work with. Inspiration and a bit of common sense.

I like your idea of reproducing a famous scene. It's so easy to internally justify why something doesn't look like you had envisioned it when you are the beginning and the end of the process. When there is an external goal or something tangible, comfort zones and artistic and technical boxes are challenged, which is also great for discussion and discovery.

I think the discipline of how to work effectively as part of a team...how to give and take direction and how to challenge a project leader to see something in a different way, whether in film or another business, are all skills that help to make up a successful person.

Thanks again!