Bolex H8 exposure help

Wade Rupp

I'm using a Bolex on Sunday shooting with Ektachrome 100D. I have a Spectra Professional light meter. My question is regarding compensating for the slight light loss from the mirror into the viewfinder. Instead of using the No. 100 slide for the 100D film, I seem to recall that I can use the No.64 slide (as if I was using ASA 64 film) in the light meter and I should have a proper exposure reading. Does that sound correct?

Also, I was searching for a basic tutorial/instruction online and here for the Bolex, but haven't found any. Does anyone know of any online?

Wade Rupp

I'm using a Bolex on Sunday shooting with Ektachrome 100D. I have a Spectra Professional light meter. My question is regarding compensating for the slight light loss from the mirror into the viewfinder. Instead of using the No. 100 slide for the 100D film, I seem to recall that I can use the No.64 slide (as if I was using ASA 64 film) in the light meter and I should have a proper exposure reading. Does that sound correct?

Also, I was searching for a basic tutorial/instruction online and here for the Bolex, but haven't found any. Does anyone know of any online?

Wade Rupp

There is a small chart on compensating exposure for the Bolex prism on this page. Scroll down until you see it.

http://bolexguy.com/Directory.html

There is a small chart on compensating exposure for the Bolex prism on this page. Scroll down until you see it.

http://bolexguy.com/Directory.html

Excellent! With the shutter open, the compensated shutter speed is 1/80 second. The Spectra manual says the No. 64 slide is what I'd use at that shutter speed for an ASA film of 100. I'll give it a try.

Wade Rupp