The Grip Guide, free podcast is very informative

Jason Anderson

C-stands, HMIs, Grip etiquette, Safety, Nets Flags Silks, wrapping cables, handy tools for grips to have, etc

Would be great if some of you experienced professionals could watch it and expand on the information.

http://www.pixelcorps.tv/the_grip_guide

One thing I noticed is that certain items are not referred to by their film-savvy name, but just by their regular name. Like 3 prong plug is usually referred to as "edison" plug (and other names too) on film sets, etc. As informative as this is, it would be better if items were referred to as people in the industry call them so that when one is on a set and a fellow grip calls for 808's, more beach or a cube tap there is no confusion as to what those esoteric words mean . . .

Some of these names may be regional, but all the crews I work with seem to know the same words no matter where they hail from, from California to Maine.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
One thing I noticed is that certain items are not referred to by their film-savvy name, but just by their regular name. . . .

Some of these names may be regional, but all the crews I work with seem to know the same words no matter where they hail from, from California to Maine.

Good idea for a FAQ on this site -- I nominate you to write one. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
In one of the vdeios he mentions that if you take the sticker off a metal tape measure, it can be used for something. But he doesn't mention exactly what. Does anyone know what trick he's refering to?

He is supposed to go into more detail later, ACs use a convex mirror to see if there are any problem lights hitting the lens. This is a grip guide though so perhaps its something else, maybe related to this though.