Can you shoot Regular 16 on a Super 16 ACL

Sasithorn Ariyavicha

Hi,

This might be a stupid question for you. I searched the web and the forum here and couldn't an answer. Your advice will be appreciated.

Yes, you can. Does the ACL camera in question not have R16 markings on the ground glass? Has the lens port been re centered for S16? Who did the conversion? Anyway, all you have to do is (usually) just frame it by the R16 markings on the ground glass. If there aren't any, just eyeball it for the center part of the frame, although technically R16 would be the the side closest to the sprocket holes that gets exposed, not the center portion of the image. If the lens port has been re-centered for S16 you want to use the center portion anyway. If you are doing a HD scan on a Spirit/ Da Vinci 2k or equivalent you can use any side you prefer in post, unless you are zooming, which can look weird.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

Yes, you can. Does the ACL camera in question not have R16 markings on the ground glass? Has the lens port been re centered for S16? Who did the conversion? Anyway, all you have to do is (usually) just frame it by the R16 markings on the ground glass. If there aren't any, just eyeball it for the center part of the frame, although technically R16 would be the the side closest to the sprocket holes that gets exposed, not the center portion of the image. If the lens port has been re-centered for S16 you want to use the center portion anyway. If you are doing a HD scan on a Spirit/ Da Vinci 2k or equivalent you can use any side you prefer in post, unless you are zooming, which can look weird.

Thanks Saul. I haven't bought the camera yet. Are there other things I should check before buying the camera?

Things to watch for:

-Has the camera been serviced lately, if so by whom?

-Type of magazines.

-Type of motor.

-Type of body.

-If converted to S16, who did it and the extent of the conversion.

-Overall state of camera.

Personally, I would check the archives in 16mm as we often talk about ACL's and their issues. And try this site as well.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/Super16ACL/menu.htm

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
If the lens port has been re-centered for S16 you want to use the center portion anyway.

Maybe, maybe not. If the film is going to be scanned or telecined, or you're doing an optcial blowup, you're OK either way. But if the plan is to contact print, you need to put the image all the way over next to the holes.

-- J.S.