Which light meter(s) do you use?

Wade Rupp

I wacked my old Spectra Professional light meter really hard today--3/4 the way through shooting something, and it's busted. Since this is rather cumbersome to use, a bit delicate, and the direct scale, without using the manual slide calculator on the back only goes up to f16, I think I'll get this fixed and just use it for backup. Otherwise it is very versatile, can easily compute lighting ratios (key to fill etc.), as well as incident, but I don't like using that manual calculator for out of the ordinary type situations 'cause you have to remember the intermediate values, and I end up staring at it wondering if I'm doing it correctly. What light meter(s) do you like and use? Do you use a couple of different ones at each shoot? Are some easier to use than others?

Thanks for your help.

I have a Sekonic L-758CINE now for my main meter, and a Sekonic L-398 in backup. Very happy about this now. Gives me both spot and incident metering, as well as a backup meter that doesn't run on batteries. The L-758 is quite advanced and versatile, but you may or may not prefer a less complicated meter.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I have two Spectra P251's, a Spectra IV-A, Sekonic L508, Minolta F Spotmeter, Minolta Color Temp meter and a DSLR and i use them all depending on the project and how I'm working. I know other DP's who only own one meter and that works well for them.

Guest Dan Thompson

I use an old Lunasix 3, it gives great results on my K3. If you're on a super tight budget, then I recommend it.