16mm 'handheld'

Richardson Leao

• Premium Member

There's also the Kiev-16UE.

kiev-16-u-right.jpg

I have one in a closet, haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It's more of a "home movie" camera but there is a motorized version.

Also, if you don't mind winding, the Kodak K-100 can be outfitted with a reflex lens and they are extremely reliable and built like a tank. The K-100 has the longest wind out of any 16mm camera I know too... it lasts almost a minute.

On the Arri S, I happened to catch the documentary "When We Left Earth" this weekend and it was wild to see a row of cameras capturing a lift off and out of the 6 or so cameras visible, like 5 were Arri S's. About 1968 or so I believe.

There's also the Kiev-16UE.

kiev-16-u-right.jpg

I have one in a closet, haven't had a chance to test it out yet. It's more of a "home movie" camera but there is a motorized version.

Also, if you don't mind winding, the Kodak K-100 can be outfitted with a reflex lens and they are extremely reliable and built like a tank. The K-100 has the longest wind out of any 16mm camera I know too... it lasts almost a minute.

On the Arri S, I happened to catch the documentary "When We Left Earth" this weekend and it was wild to see a row of cameras capturing a lift off and out of the 6 or so cameras visible, like 5 were Arri S's. About 1968 or so I believe.

I have a Kiev 16-UE though the picture you show is of the clockwork version. The UE is electric powered using about 12 AA batteries. I bought mine from Olex and he provided a special connector so I can run the camera off an AC adapter or a larger battery. I shot one roll of Fomapan with it and the camera is very noisy but it does shoot decent pictures. It uses a mirrored shutter with propriety screw mount lenses. The film spools are side by side but not difficult to load. It comes with a pistol grip so it can be used handheld. It is about as heavy as a Bolex but has a low profile. I really think the Kinor 16-SX is a better choice coming with interchangeable 100 foot or 400 foot magazines. Olex can provide variable speed and crystal speed motor modifications.

Edited by Herb Montes

I have a Kiev 16-UE though the picture you show is of the clockwork version. The UE is electric powered using about 12 AA batteries. I bought mine from Olex and he provided a special connector so I can run the camera off an AC adapter or a larger battery. I shot one roll of Fomapan with it and the camera is very noisy but it does shoot decent pictures. It uses a mirrored shutter with propriety screw mount lenses. The film spools are side by side but not difficult to load. It comes with a pistol grip so it can be used handheld. It is about as heavy as a Bolex but has a low profile. I really think the Kinor 16-SX is a better choice coming with interchangeable 100 foot or 400 foot magazines. Olex can provide variable speed and crystal speed motor modifications.

I have a kinor and for sure it's a fabulous camera (also modified by Olex), I just wanted something to film inside a train at rush hour. But I gues I can always smuggle my kinor... but thanks for the info.

I have a kinor and for sure it's a fabulous camera (also modified by Olex), I just wanted something to film inside a train at rush hour. But I gues I can always smuggle my kinor... but thanks for the info.

The Kiev is small but it's also noisier than your average 16mm. Unless you wrap it with a heavy coat it will get noticed. And something wrapped in a coat with a pistol grip will definitely attract attention. Watch out you don't get tased, bro.

Would have used a quiet sync camera because I think the noise is one thing that will get peoples attention.