advice on buying a pro camera

Matt Wright

hi just after a bit of advice on purchasing a camera

heres a little more info:

.a budget of £1800

.i intend to use it for proffesional use, ranging the uses from events, gigs, co-orporate videos and short films. obviously i'l be small scale as im fresh out of film school and new to the professional world.

. format preferably HD

looking into lower end pro cameras, i've been impressed by the Canon XHA1 (for £1800), with its ability to produce images using the same 1/3-inch sensors used in the XL H1. however due to its low cost, it uses a fixed lens.

from a profesional point of view, would a fixed 32.5-650mm (35mm range) Canon L-series 20x optical zoom lens be a sufficent for the uses listed previously.

finally are there any recommendations for adapters with the xh-a1 lens?

all replys welcome

thankyou for reading

Edited by Matt Wright

• Premium Member

You might get his thread moved to one of the video forums. There's more traffic in those forums so, it's cool. If you're on a low budg then don't worry about lenses. They're not that big of a deal. Shooting in HD with a camera as convenient and cost effective as the Canon XHA1 is a fine approach. Lens choices are an indulgence you can put off until your budgets get higher and reachable.

I dunno about Canons. The XL H1S is top/ front heavy and the XH-A1 has both the zoom and focus rings as infinite rings. Amost everyone who has ever used an ENG style camera and lens has a hard time with these "professional" cameras. They take fine pictures in spite of their terrible ergonomics.

If it has to be an affordable camcorder I would wait for Panasonic's HMC 150, but it may be out your your price range as well.

I can't understand why they don't make full spec shoulder mounted cameras instead of semi (XL H1S) or purely camcorder style.

I love using HPX 500's! Anything smaller is a joke for most real world applications. Unless the camera is really tiny and I can mount it on a helmet, etc, I have no use for medium sized camcorders.

Edited by Saul Rodgar