So, what Australian current TV ads were shot on RED

Keith Walters

• Premium Member

I'm starting to notice a few ads on our local TV networks with a distinct "look".

They have the characteristic razor-sharp clarity of 35mm origination, but the dynamic range is well, pretty ordinary.

One example is the current McDonalds "Kids Choices" ads.

Was that by any chance shot with the RED?

If not, who ever did the telecine should have been shot! :lol:

If it is, I begin to see why nobody seems interested in trumpeting their acheivements.

But Christ, the RED can't be THAT bad, surely.

I'm starting to notice a few ads on our local TV networks with a distinct "look".

They have the characteristic razor-sharp clarity of 35mm origination, but the dynamic range is well, pretty ordinary.

One example is the current McDonalds "Kids Choices" ads.

Was that by any chance shot with the RED?

If not, who ever did the telecine should have been shot! :lol:

If it is, I begin to see why nobody seems interested in trumpeting their acheivements.

But Christ, the RED can't be THAT bad, surely.

I don't know about your Aussie ad, but I saw an spot for Dollywood here in Knoxville (it's an amusement park) that I am pretty sure was shot on RED. Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had), didn't know how to grade it, or most likely, the local station just butchered the broadcast. I didn't mind some of the blown out highlights in the background (looked natural) but the blown out skin on the people's faces did NOT look good at all. Plus, it was really soft when compared other spots (even stuff shot in SD.)

Matthew

• Premium Member
I don't know about your Aussie ad, but I saw an spot for Dollywood here in Knoxville (it's an amusement park) that I am pretty sure was shot on RED. Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had), didn't know how to grade it, or most likely, the local station just butchered the broadcast. I didn't mind some of the blown out highlights in the background (looked natural) but the blown out skin on the people's faces did NOT look good at all. Plus, it was really soft when compared other spots (even stuff shot in SD.)

Matthew

Well soft is the last thing I would have expected from a RED, but there might have been some reason for it. Although in that case you would wonder what the point of shooting with a RED was, unless it was cheap :lol:

There is no excuse for degradation of image sharpness. Given good source material and simple edits, even Windows Movie Maker can produce quite convincing SD broadcast quality, snce all it does is copy parts of "wild" AVI files into another AVI file.

When you say: "Either they didn't light it correctly (doubtful knowing the crew they probably had),"

do you mean "doubtful they did it correctly", or "unlikely they would not have known how to light correctly"

I was saying that it's a crew that knew what they were doing. This would be some of the same crew that is lighting the Hanna Montana movie--so if that sucks you'll know it's the crew;) And yes, it is Dolly's park. I did a shoot a few years ago with her for the park and I really couldn't believe that someone with a waist so small could have a chest so big!

Matthew

• Premium Member
I did a shoot a few years ago with her for the park and I really couldn't believe that someone with a waist so small could have a chest so big!

Matthew

I believe she has had her mammalian real estate downsized recently, as it was putting her back out. I've heard that a bustline like that is like walking around with a full grown daschund strapped to your chest :lol: