Doyle, Genious or Nutcase

Tim Terner

• Premium Member
- His images astound me, but here I was very embarrassed for him

I think genius and madness is a cross pollination , but I do not think Christopher Doyle is a "nutter," - he's an extrovert who in this particular instance is quite drunk. He shoots beautiful images so I think I can afford him some artistic flamboyance, for want of a better word.

LOL, Doyle lists "Heineken" as his number one influence on cinematography. Is this really a surprise?

It's bad form to show up raving drunk or high at awards shows, but people know Doyle is crazy. But there is a reason he is one of the only "rock stars" in the world of cinematography. I would put his best work, like In the Mood for Love and 2046, up against any cinematographer, ever.

Many great artists are crazy as hell. Look at Dostoyevsky, Van Gough, Tolstoy, etc.

Hes like the Mick Jagger of cinematography, I think he gets a pass. Most emuslsion jockeys are kind of buttoned down, not terribly impulsive and somewhat reserved, so I think its awsome to have a guy who lets it all fly....and then backs it up with talent. I do find it ironic that he is shooting a film now called 'the limits of control'. I hope he keeps rocking. as long as he can maintain a balance between his excess and his craft, he will always be a unique and interesting individual, even if hes not exactly a role model.

• Premium Member

genius is simply the most over used word ever but Chris Doyle has been a great inspiration to me. yeah, he's a nutter. crazy like a fox. that youtube video is weird to most because he acted wild at a fu**ing awards ceremony and didn't follow the script. who cares? pleeeese. black tie????? come on. a load of crap really. did you see The Departed? Ballhaus admits he over lit the thing because he was shooting hollywood actors.

Doyle doesn't even look drunk or out of control. he's just being himself and very sincere.

the best shot is that cut away of some old dude at a table stoically looking on....

He came to Melbourne for a forum last year and after about an hour of carrying on he still hadn't said anything informative or interesting.

On artistic merits i absolutely adore him (Paranoid Park & Fallen Angels being my favorites) but professional he is not. Outside and inside the film world he would have to be one of the most known cinematographers and this is attributed not only to his work but his off set antics.

Creatively he is up there with the very best and if he keeps producing this caliber of work he gets a small waiver.

• Premium Member

The thing with Doyle is that his most creative work phase - his early Hong Kong films with Wong Kar-Wai ? were actually shot while he was dry and clean.

With success came the usual cocktails, and now the guy has not only not developed cinematographically over the past years (with 2046 particularly to be singled out), he is increasingly rotting away with drugs and alcohol.

Although that might sound "rock & roll" for the many civilian Friday night drinkers who wish themselves such an existence as escape from their dreary pointless lifes, it's actually lame and unprofessional for every industry worker who has to deal with him, and can certainly only be regarded as pitiful from everyone who really lived a rock'n roll life during those two decades in the 20th century when these words meant something.

There is a difference between Rock'n Roll Living and being Drunk'n Drugged. Doyle has become the later while never really having been the first.

Quite sad.

• 2 weeks later...

He is a very interesting cinematographer DESPITE the booze and drugs and not because of them.

What is admirable IMHO is that he is trying to encourage people not to be just gear heads and emulators but to HAVE A LIFE and discover their own voice. More get said about Amy Winehouse's drug and alcohol use than her music.

Where is that at?

The media is always looking for sensationalist gossip and it's important to look way the hell beyond that.

Remember that Chris Doyle has/had HIS OWN circumstances, contacts, personal history and TALENT.

It is for each of us to develop their own.

And it's not via all the quasi-laddy crap which is a real turnoff.

• Premium Member
did you see The Departed? Ballhaus admits he over lit the thing because he was shooting hollywood actors.

Did he really say that? Of course everyone here knows that I agree with that assessment. :rolleyes:

The thing with Doyle is that his most creative work phase - his early Hong Kong films with Wong Kar-Wai ? were actually shot while he was dry and clean.

With success came the usual cocktails, and now the guy has not only not developed cinematographically over the past years (with 2046 particularly to be singled out), he is increasingly rotting away with drugs and alcohol.

Although that might sound "rock & roll" for the many civilian Friday night drinkers who wish themselves such an existence as escape from their dreary pointless lifes, it's actually lame and unprofessional for every industry worker who has to deal with him, and can certainly only be regarded as pitiful from everyone who really lived a rock'n roll life during those two decades in the 20th century when these words meant something.

There is a difference between Rock'n Roll Living and being Drunk'n Drugged. Doyle has become the later while never really having been the first.

Quite sad.

What makes you claim that Doyle was sober during the "early" WKW days? Doyle seems like a born party animal to me. I bet he's been drinking all along. On the behind-the-scenes doc for "In the Mood" Doyle was carrying a beer at all times.

Also, do you think it's "pathetic" when rock stars like Jimmy Page take massive amounts of drugs and alcohol? Some of the best art of the last 100 years was fueled by drugs and alcohol.

Sure, if Doyle is stumbling around the set drunk, that's not good. But I don't see anyone claiming that he is.

• Premium Member
Also, do you think it's "pathetic" when rock stars like Jimmy Page take massive amounts of drugs and alcohol? Some of the best art of the last 100 years was fueled by drugs and alcohol.

Yes it is absolutely pathetic. Just look at Ozzie Osbourne and how he comes across in his stupid reality show, he is the best anti-drug ad one could ever imagine. Let's face it, most people who do drugs do not last very long. There is no free lunch.

• Premium Member
Nearly all the greatest rock of the last 50 years was fueled by drugs.

Yes and? Do you think that justifies it's use?

Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Hendrix, Syd Barrett etc... all paid a very hight price.

Everyone has there own methods for finding inspiration. I have to admit I am a little jealous of people who can perform under the influence. I won't even try. But its undeniable that some excellent art has come from some very f*cked up people... I prefer not to judge, but it can be disappointing to watch someone self destruct, especially when you admire their work so much. Anyways.. who can recommend some good drugs?