Oscillating mirror issue on acl

giap vu

Hello all,

I purchased an ACL on ebay and it appears that the oscillating mirror is slightly worn down. I haven't been able to test the camera as of yet because I don't have a lens or a battery ( does anyone know where I can buy some batteries) but before I invest anymore money I was wondering if this - the slightly filed oscillating mirror - will hamper the image quality. I've included a couple of pictures shot with my iphone for inspection.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Giap Vu

post-20027-1213832368.jpg

The picture has to be one of the most out of focus examples anyone has submitted here. So the mirror is in bad surface shape, I gather? If so, lets think about this for a minute. Unless the mechanism for the mirror is out of sync with the actual shutter (or the mirror mechanism is otherwise loose or damaged physically), there is no way that the image on the film will suffer. The image on the viewfinder may, as the mirror only provides the image for you to look at as you view through the finder. That is where the term reflex camera comes from, as in the image that comes through the lens being reflected to the viewfinder when the shutter is closed. Every time the shutter opens, the mirror is out of the way, the image from the lens is now etched on the film itself and you can't see through the viewfinder.

As for the battery any 12 Volt 7 Amp big battery you can connect to a 4 pin XLR to Eclair power cable will do. I use the Powersonic brand which I buy for about $40 at my local battery shop. If you don't have the power cable though, the battery alone will do you no good. And you will need a 4 pin XLR adapter for the battery as well, for it comes with positive and negative terminals only, like a car battery.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• 2 weeks later...
The picture has to be one of the most out of focus examples anyone has submitted here. So the mirror is in bad surface shape, I gather? If so, lets think about this for a minute. Unless the mechanism for the mirror is out of sync with the actual shutter (or the mirror mechanism is otherwise loose or damaged physically), there is no way that the image on the film will suffer. The image on the viewfinder may, as the mirror only provides the image for you to look at as you view through the finder. That is where the term reflex camera comes from, as in the image that comes through the lens being reflected to the viewfinder when the shutter is closed. Every time the shutter opens, the mirror is out of the way, the image from the lens is now etched on the film itself and you can't see through the viewfinder.

As for the battery any 12 Volt 7 Amp big battery you can connect to a 4 pin XLR to Eclair power cable will do. I use the Powersonic brand which I buy for about $40 at my local battery shop. If you don't have the power cable though, the battery alone will do you no good. And you will need a 4 pin XLR adapter for the battery as well, for it comes with positive and negative terminals only, like a car battery.

hi,

Thanks for the reply! Now, if I don't have access to the eclair power cable, what are my choices? Are there any adapters available from the 12v 7 amp big battery to the 4 pin XLR? Well, thanks again for putting my ignorance to rest!

giap vu

• Premium Member

Most people just get the parts and make adapters. For a gel cell battery, you'll usually have push-on's or lugs of some kind. The best way to go is to build it into a box, like a small anvil case.

-- J.S.

Most people just get the parts and make adapters. For a gel cell battery, you'll usually have push-on's or lugs of some kind. The best way to go is to build it into a box, like a small anvil case.

-- J.S.

Thanks brother, appreciate the info! sounds very sensible and something I considered, but of course was trying to make it easier for myself - learning or excepting the fact that cinematography is an art form that demands more than youtube demonstrations is, in the process, a gift in a costume.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2281...te_Battery.html

At $62 it's not bad because you get the carrying case, charger and the attached cable is 6' - so this is everything you need. If you already have a charger you can get the battery alone for, I think $59.

-j

--

J. Hinkle

I just bought one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2281...te_Battery.html

At $62 it's not bad because you get the carrying case, charger and the attached cable is 6' - so this is everything you need. If you already have a charger you can get the battery alone for, I think $59.

-j

--

J. Hinkle

Hi,

Wow! This is it- you're a life saver! thank you very much! I'll try to order it and let's see what happens. As of now there not taking orders until Saturday.

their not there

B&H seems to be working on their website over the past few weekends. I had the same thing happen to me two weekends ago.

My battery is working out great. I actually got a Y adapter and I use it to power the camera, my video assist and LCD monitor - all three at the same time. The one battery lasted for an entire 12 hour shoot without having to recharge.

Edited by Jason Hinkle

B&H seems to be working on their website over the past few weekends. I had the same thing happen to me two weekends ago.

My battery is working out great. I actually got a Y adapter and I use it to power the camera, my video assist and LCD monitor - all three at the same time. The one battery lasted for an entire 12 hour shoot without having to recharge.

so, i got the battery you suggested but it doesn't have the same type of 4 pin xlr that the stock eclair acl has - which is a jagger. Would this Y adapter solve my problem - especially since I dont have the eclair power cable?

thx.

so, i got the battery you suggested but it doesn't have the same type of 4 pin xlr that the stock eclair acl has - which is a jagger. Would this Y adapter solve my problem - especially since I dont have the eclair power cable?

thx.

ok scratch that. i ordered one somewhere else. cost me $90 but it's all G.