I was looking at different film programs and Rochester Institute of Technology caught my eye. Has anyone been there/heard about it? I mean, its a big commitment so I want to know as much about it as possible.

Also, can any one recommend other good film schools?

Yes RIT is very good and much better since I have been there.

You can also take advantage of events from the Little Theatre, the George Eastment house, and of course Kodak. And of course the film program is part of the School of Photography which has really great photo classes and teachers.

However the winters are a bitch. But with global warming maybe its not so bad anymore. Also the guy girl ratio is not all that great and it is not a party school if those are of any interest to your college experience.

Best

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I graduated from RIT in film last year. I thought the program was very good and it is getting better all the time. The facilities got a huge overhaul last year and it's now well equipped with everything. The staff is growing and getting better and the program, which is fairly young, is developing itself. When I was a freshman, few people did anything but a general course of studies. Now it is common for people to specialize, as I did in cinematography. The film program is not part of the photography school any more, by the way. They are still fairly close and I took many courses from photo to tailor my education as far in the direction of cinematography and photography as possible.

Rochester is a great city if you don't mind cold weather too much. The Eastman House (with attached Dryden Theater) and the little theater are both great resources. The Dryden shows old films. I have seen Lumiere brothers films, Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 in 70mm, and Nosferatu with live organist on halloween there. The Little is an arthouse theater that shows current indie and fireign films. Both give good discounts to students.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I can even put you in touch with a current student who may be able to answer things that have changed since I left.

• 5 years later...