Arri S repair kits for sale

These are repair kits for the Arri S that I have developed during my 3 years as camera repair tech at New York University. We have 90+ Arri S cameras that I maintain and rebuild. Since Arri has discontinued most of the parts, I am constantly trying to figure out how to keep the cameras running.

The kits are the result of lots of research, trial and error and have been proven to work in the field under the most punishing of conditions: at the hands of our beginning film students. I would not offer these for sale if I was not 100% sure that they work.

When I was a student, I bought an Arri S because they are built like a tank, versatile and, most importantly, cheap. But I ran into problems when I needed maintenance or repair and couldn't afford it. I designed these kits to specifically help out students and beginners to keep their cameras running at a reasonable price. I love the Arri S and want to see them around for a long time and hope these kits help. If these do well, I plan on making more kits and how-to's.

I made the instructions as clear and down-to-earth as possible so that anyone with halfway decent mechanical skills should be able to handle it. Each kit comes with full-color step-by-step illustrations and some come with special tools.

Motor Coupler Replacement Kit $50

Replacement kit for the rubber coupler which connects the motor to the movement. Over time they stretch out or get dry rot and start slipping. If yours look like any of these it probably needs replaced:

arri_sos09.JPGarri_sos10.JPG

Kit includes: coupler, retaining clips, rubber pad for protection during assembly, modified spanner bit for coupler nut, and full-color instructions.

arri_sos02.JPG

Tools needed are: small slotted screwdriver, channel locks or large pliers, small needle nose pliers, 1/4" bit driver, preferably t-handle style.

Disassembly is minimal and installation is pretty straight forward.

The instructions are for cameras that have the coupler unit attached directly to the gear plate, usually serial numbers under 12,001. If unsure, remove the motor and look in the port to confirm if the coupler unit is attached to the back of the gear plate.

arri_sos01.JPG

For those of you with repair experience, this kit also works for units above 12,000, with the coupler unit attached to the movement. For the novices out there, the newer style coupler is a more involved repair requiring removal of the movement and is not currently covered by the instructions, thus I don't recommend this kit for you.

Brake Pad Replacement Kit $10

This is a replacement for the brake pad on the feed side that prevents the film from unspooling when the camera is stopped. If yours looks like this, it should be replaced or your film might snap or bunch up.

arri_sos22.JPGarri_sos20.JPG

Kit includes: replacement pad, full color instructions

arri_sos19.JPG

Tools needed: small slotted screwdriver, x-acto knife, super glue

Very easy installation.

Eyecup Upgrade Kit - $15 washer only - $25 washer and modified spanner

This is for the old style diopter with the lever locks, works with those with a door as well:

arri_sos11.JPG

This diopter is perfectly fine and way easier to maintain than the new-style but the eyecups are no longer available. The new-style eyecup used on the SR II, etc. won't fit right with the existing hardware and this kit addresses that. I currently don't have any eyecups but you can get them from Arri for $28, part # K5.24498.0.

arri_sos15.JPG

Kit includes: fiber washer that allows new-style eyecup to be used on old-style diopter, rubber pad for protection during disassembly (not pictured), modified adjustable spanner (style used for removing watch backs - optional item), full color instructions

arri_sos17.JPG

If you don't have a slotted spanner, I highly recommend purchasing the optional tool. Using the wrong tool makes it pretty easy to slip and scratch the rear element or mess up the nut.

If retaining nut for eyecup comes off easily this is a breeze. If it's stubborn, it gets a little more involved but not too bad.

Free shipping on all kits in the U.S.. Shipping rates outside the country will vary. I except payment by PayPal or money order.

Email arri.sos@gmail.com with your order or questions. If paying by PayPal make sure to give me that email address if different from your forum address.

Finally, some background on myself, so you know I'm not a shmoe. I have been the Camera Repair Tech at NYU for the last 3 years, before that I worked in the NYU Production Center for 2 years, overseeing check in/out of rigs and providing training on all the equipment. Before that I ran the equipment room and taught introductory film production for 3 years at Penn State University. I never had a lot of cash, like helping people out and still love old equipment, which are all reasons why I started making these kits.

Disclaimer: I cannot be held responsible for any damage you may do while attempting a repair. While the instructions are clear and most of these repairs are fairly simple, undertake them at your own risk. If you are not completely satisfied with a repair kit, return complete kit within 30 days and I will refund your money.

• 1 month later...