Steenbecks!

Annie Wengenroth

The school where I work is planning to get rid of their Steenbeck flatbed editing machines. I believe we have six of them, and all were completely overhauled about a year ago. The school was planning to basically pay someone to haul them off and I offered to try and find a better home.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can give you more details. As far as I know, you would only have to pay for whatever the shipping/transport cost is. I would hate to see these machines go completely to waste in some landfill in Georgia or something...I would rather see them used by another school. I don't think you would have to take all of them, either. So if anybody is interested, please let me know.

The school where I work is planning to get rid of their Steenbeck flatbed editing machines. I believe we have six of them, and all were completely overhauled about a year ago. The school was planning to basically pay someone to haul them off and I offered to try and find a better home.

If anyone is interested, please PM me and I can give you more details. As far as I know, you would only have to pay for whatever the shipping/transport cost is. I would hate to see these machines go completely to waste in some landfill in Georgia or something...I would rather see them used by another school. I don't think you would have to take all of them, either. So if anybody is interested, please let me know.

Sent PM, and hope I get in soon enough. I will drive there to get one...

• Premium Member

Try:

www.steenbeck.org

www.insyncpubs.com

These are definitely not zero value items. Your school should get some money for them, and you should get -- maybe-- some appreciation for getting them that money.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Is your school really convinced there's no future for old school editing?

OT Warning: Reminds me of the University photography department located in the same building as one of my clients. They had a department chairman around five years ago who announced that film was dead and proceeded to start junking their film gear. He got as far as sending a really nice lab full of color processing and printing gear to state surplus before a faculty revolt saved their darkrooms and B&W processors. They now teach both film and digital and the students love the old school silver side of things every bit as much as the whiz bang digital toys.

And more than a few of the students got that "damn!" look on their face when they learned the Department used to have a color lab - until Doctor Dimwit got rid of it.

Annie, PMed you. My non-profit, Del Norte' Film Institute could use at least 2 of them for it's 16mm program. Please let us know what can be done. Shipping is no problem, we will be more than happy to pay. Thanks-Steve

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Annie, PMed you. My non-profit, Del Norte' Film Institute could use at least 2 of them for it's 16mm program. Please let us know what can be done. Shipping is no problem, we will be more than happy to pay. Thanks-Steve

If you'll pay for the trailer rental, gas and a hotel room for the night in a Super8 I'll drive it to you. 8) (My sister lives in Texas and any mechanism to visit her is always welcome)

The school is really weird about Phasing Out Equipment (that's what they call it :sigh:). I decided the best and most karma-friendly way to help them out, would be to intercept their original plan (of mercilessly dumping them somewhere) by giving them to people who could use them better. There's all sorts of red tape to deal with when it comes to selling gear at this place. We're getting rid of the Steenbecks because we are short on space and the curriculum for Intro to Film no longer uses them. Instead they transfer with an Elmo and then edit on Avid. I have a lot of feelings about this which have nothing to do with money and everything to do with my morals and my complete, head-over-heels love for film, but I'll spare ya the soliloquy.

Hal- an in-house film lab huh? Until 2 weeks ago, there was a processing/telecine lab next door. And now they are closed. Probably, again, money issues.

Of course in the back of my mind, part of me can't help but think- given what *I* do for the school- "Job security? Uh.... :huh: " Who knows, things change a lot at the school and like I said, we're short on space these days so I think that is their primary concern. In fact I think they hired me because I fit in a Ronford Baker standard legs case. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked in one day and all the chairs were gone or something. "Oh yeah...we're really short on space, so...yeah. Pull up a piece of floor, have a seat." Literally, where I work, I have just enough room for my workbench and a set of bins a few feet behind me. I sometimes have contests with myself to see how much poop I can fit on my desk.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY WANT ME TO FIX EVERYTHING SO THEY CAN HOCK IT ON EBAY AND BUY THE ENTIRE TOWN OF SAVANNAH! :lol:

By the way, three Steenbecks have already been spoken for.

• Premium Member

PS to my post: My avatar photo was shot by one of their students on a 4X5 Sinar. For his fall senior project He made a series of identically styled portraits of faculty and staff who work in the Communications Building. I paid him to make a silver print for me, framed it, and gave it to my wife as a Christmas present. She absolutely adores that photo, she says it looks exactly like me, I think I look as old as Methusaleh - but in truth - I am.

PS to my post: My avatar photo was shot by one of their students on a 4X5 Sinar. For his fall senior project He made a series of identically styled portraits of faculty and staff who work in the Communications Building. I paid him to make a silver print for me, framed it, and gave it to my wife as a Christmas present. She absolutely adores that photo, she says it looks exactly like me, I think I look as old as Methusaleh - but in truth - I am.

Heh, I do 4x5's for my portraits myself. Nobody takes the time for such work anymore tho I feel.

6 Steenbecks rehomed in 2 days- that's going some. Who says 16mm is dead? Well done for saving them.

I collected mine a year or two ago from Pinewood for £75- no problem getting spare belts, the dealer is still here in west London, with two or three brand new £20,000 models on show.

I love just looking at mine.

Hey Annie,

Good for you saving these editors from the scrap yard. There's been far too much still photography equipment relegated to landfills in the past decade. I'm glad you prevented a similar loss from happening here.

• Premium Member

This thread implies that I'm not the owner of a 35mm KEM Jr. Telecine, I'm it's Curator. And darn proud to have that title. May all Annie's Steenbecks live forever!