Widening K3 Film Gate to S16

Carlos Alba

I was wondering if any of you know how to do the widening with regular tools? Or maybe take it to a jeweler or a metal worker to do the job? I am looking for an alternative as I believe that charging 240$ for widening 2mm of metal is a complete rip off! (k3camera.com)

Thanks,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

I had my first camera (K3) done by a tech (Les Bosher), and I just did my first home conversion on a Kodak K-100. I also recentered the lens mount turret, which was the hardest part. For the gate I used a normal small handheld file and a micrometer. Filed and polished and scratch tested. It seems to be fine, but I haven't shot anything with it yet.

Kristian

Hi Carlos,

I had my first camera (K3) done by a tech (Les Bosher), and I just did my first home conversion on a Kodak K-100. I also recentered the lens mount turret, which was the hardest part. For the gate I used a normal small handheld file and a micrometer. Filed and polished and scratch tested. It seems to be fine, but I haven't shot anything with it yet.

Kristian

As for me, the profile of original film gate of K-3 don't compatible with S16 upgrade of film gate.

After you enlarge of film gate, you receive of two scratchy facets.

If you study of original film gate detailed, you can see of recessed trench from sides of film plane.

I was wondering if any of you know how to do the widening with regular tools? Or maybe take it to a jeweler or a metal worker to do the job? I am looking for an alternative as I believe that charging 240$ for widening 2mm of metal is a complete rip off!

Last time I checked, it was $195. That's only 125 Euros. :rolleyes:

In any case, widening the gate is 'free'. $190 is to make it not scratch the film.

What about the other $5? That's for the screwdriver!

Here's a way to turn the tables. Take a file to your gate, and install it using the k3camera.com instructions:

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/k3s16mm-install.php

In any case, widening the gate is 'free'. $190 is to make it not scratch the film.

Very true indeed. Figuring out how to stop the film from being scratched is the hard part of doing it yourself. Also, some older (or not kept-up) cameras (and projectors) usually scratch the film outside the native picture area somewhere down the film path. So when you enlarge the picture area, there may be other culprits to look for beside the newly filed gate. Figuring that out can be loads of fun for someone with no experience in camera service.

Additionally, the main screw in the center that holds the camera together turns opposite to what "lefty-loosy" laws indicate. Be careful, we broke one and rendered a perfectly fine camera "parts only" . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar