The greatest trailer in the history of cinema.

Umm... I don't get it. Anyway, I just thought it was a shitty thing to say to someone, and in this case factually incorrect in that you said it to the only member of this whole forum making a grand-scale hollywood film. You're entitled to your opinion though, Tiger.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Umm... I don't get it. Anyway, I just thought it was a shitty thing to say to someone, and in this case factually incorrect in that you said it to the only member of this whole forum making a grand-scale hollywood film. You're entitled to your opinion though, Tiger.

Tiger...cute. My point was that I posted before the announcement was made that he was directing a movie. Secondly, does it really matter? His comments smacked of jealousy, so I told him so. There is nothing factually incorrect about that.

And he's by far not the "only" member of this forum making a "grand-scale hollywood film". I've personally worked on quite a few large features, as have many many others here.

I'm happy for Ruari and hope he does well with his movie, but none of that really has to do with what we were talking about.

Tiger...cute. My point was that I posted before the announcement was made that he was directing a movie.

Posted what before the announcement was made? This thread was started at the end of June. The announcement was back in February.

Secondly, does it really matter? His comments smacked of jealousy, so I told him so. There is nothing factually incorrect about that.

Except the part about me being jealous about it. But think whatever you like. Just don't confuse your opinion with fact.

R.

• Premium Member
Posted what before the announcement was made? This thread was started at the end of June. The announcement was back in February.

Fine. Glad to hear it. I heard about it on this site sometime after I made the post. Again, it doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but whatever.... You don't get a pass from me just because you're about to direct your first feature.

Except the part about me being jealous about it. But think whatever you like. Just don't confuse your opinion with fact.

R.

The FACT was that I thought your post smacked of jealousy. If not, then fine, I guess you just think you're better than them and wanted to make fun of their movie. Mission accomplished!

.......I guess you just think you're better than them and wanted to make fun of their movie.

and your problem with that is?

These guys have been churning out the same unfunny poop for the past few years, the fact that their movies continue to make money is not any reflection on their quality...it is unfortunately, a reflection on the continued demise of taste and intelligence in a depressingly large segment of the theatergoing population.

I think Ruari's quite entitled to call out a project like this as a festering pile of cinematic manure.

He's earned it...You have seen his stuff, right?

Edited by John Allardice

• Premium Member
and your problem with that is?

My problem with that is that it isn't constructive criticism. It's just nasty for the sake of being nasty. Not exactly what this board is meant for, nor should it be.

These guys have been churning out the same unfunny poop for the past few years, the fact that their movies continue to make money is not any reflection on their quality...it is unfortunately, a reflection on the continued demise of taste and intelligence in a depressingly large segment of the theatergoing population.

And? You act as if they're the first to make a movie that you, or anyone else, doesn't care for. Obviously a large amount of people like their movies, otherwise they wouldn't make money and they wouldn't be able to make any more. It's not my cup of tea, or yours obviously, but someone likes it.

I think Ruari's quite entitled to call out a project like this as a festering pile of cinematic manure.

How so? Why would he be more "entitled" to call out a project than someone else? I would have the same opinion of these comments even if they came from a big established director.

He's earned it...You have seen his stuff, right?

No. Where would I have seen it? Has he made a feature before?

I don't think you can "earn" the right to belittle someone else's work. I just don't think it's cool.

Fine. Glad to hear it. I heard about it on this site sometime after I made the post. Again, it doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but whatever.... You don't get a pass from me just because you're about to direct your first feature.

I didn't bring it up in the first place. Just correcting your statements, which were factually innacurate.

The FACT was that I thought your post smacked of jealousy. If not, then fine, I guess you just think you're better than them and wanted to make fun of their movie. Mission accomplished!

I wish you would stop trying to tell me what I think about things.

R.

My problem with that is that it isn't constructive criticism. It's just nasty for the sake of being nasty. Not exactly what this board is meant for, nor should it be.

And? You act as if they're the first to make a movie that you, or anyone else, doesn't care for. Obviously a large amount of people like their movies, otherwise they wouldn't make money and they wouldn't be able to make any more. It's not my cup of tea, or yours obviously, but someone likes it.

How so? Why would he be more "entitled" to call out a project than someone else? I would have the same opinion of these comments even if they came from a big established director.

No. Where would I have seen it? Has he made a feature before?

I don't think you can "earn" the right to belittle someone else's work. I just don't think it's cool.

Ughh, I'm not more entitled than anyone else to criticise anything. But I am entitled to, just as much as anyone else. I have a problem with people being given 25 million dollars to make a movie, and they don't even try. If you can't see this, fine, but stop trying to twist my words into some kind of agenda that isn't there. It's really irritating.

• Premium Member
I didn't bring it up in the first place. Just correcting your statements, which were factually innacurate.

I wish you would stop trying to tell me what I think about things.

R.

We can agree to disagree. I will say, though, that there is absolutely nothing factually inaccurate about any of my posts in this thread. The aforementioned "fact" was how I felt, and I'm the only one who knows if that's accurate or not. If you disagree, then I'm obviously not going to be able to convince you otherwise.

I never tried to tell you what you thought. You made it clear. I'm assuming that you're frustrated seeing those same guys make the same movie over and over again when there are a lot of great projects that never get made. I would agree with that frustration. Unfortunately, this business is more about commerce than it is about art, and a lot of crap gets made because of it. But I'm sure a lot of people worked hard on the movie, and since none of us have seen it, it's hard to say definitively that it's not good. I don't like to see someone's work belittled (no matter what I might think of it), which is why I responded to your post in the first place.

• Premium Member
Ughh, I'm not more entitled than anyone else to criticise anything. But I am entitled to, just as much as anyone else.

As you know, I was responding to John Allardice's comments regarding that, and he WAS saying that you were more entitled. I'm not sure why he thinks that.

I know you never said that. I wouldn't expect that from you.

I have a problem with people being given 25 million dollars to make a movie, and they don't even try.

That's the whole thing...how do you know they didn't try? That's the kind of attitude that bugged me about your post in the first place, especially since the movie wasn't even out yet.

If you can't see this, fine, but stop trying to twist my words into some kind of agenda that isn't there. It's really irritating.

I don't think I twisted anything. I certainly didn't mean to, I was just responding to what you wrote. If I was wrong, or I twisted your words in some way, I'm sorry about that.

That's the whole thing...how do you know they didn't try? That's the kind of attitude that bugged me about your post in the first place, especially since the movie wasn't even out yet.

How do I know they didn't try? Well take a look at the images below, and you tell me who tried harder. Me, or Carrivaggio.

comparison.jpg

I know, I know, it's a tough call...

As you know, I was responding to John Allardice's comments regarding that, and he WAS saying that you were more entitled. I'm not sure why he thinks that.

I know you never said that. I wouldn't expect that from you.

Not necessarily more entitled, but certainly entitled...There was no Monday morning quarterbacking going on here. He's demonstrated he has an eye, and imagination.... The guys responsible for the celluloid hemorrhage in question have neither, as has been amply demonstrated by their previous works.

Anyone can criticize any work they see fit...but the criticism becomes more valid if it is delivered by a person of talent in that particular arena.

Or are we getting into that touchy-feely, everyone's-opinion-is-worth-equal-weight, no-matter-how-ignorant-uninformed-or-just-plain-dumb-they-are, garbage?

Criticism of spoof films in general is partly justified because the films they are usually spoofing are blockbuster hits which are typically awful to begin with. Not all of them. But most of them are pretty terrible. Because the movies being parodied are often (not always but usually) so bad to the point where you want those 2 hours of your life back, we kind of want to see the films slammed and when the slamming itself falls flat, it's even more annoying than sitting through the actual film. For this reason, I find spoof films like this incredibly annoying but part of me does wish they were done with more thought and in a slightly more dry, Monty Python/South Park/Family Guy (actually funny) kind of way. But that interview Ayz posted with the screenwriters is great. It totally explains why the films fail.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

• 1 month later...